Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Ah, Spring!

22 March 2014 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/springlike
Brief tastes of spring, and weekly nasty snowstorms, punctuated our schedule. Another book came in at the library, “The Sailmaker's Apprentice”, and I was so taken by its illustrations and comprehensive coverage of sailmaking, that I bought a hard cover copy from amazon.
.
The galley portlight repair continued and increased as the damage was traced to the second portlight, aft and at the dinette, just in front of the pilothouse. Test holes were cut into the inner skin of the cabin side just above the sheer stringer, at the junction of the cabin side and the upper hull side. Water ran out of the test holes at the second portlight. A test hole was cut below the portlight on the other side of the dinette, but it was sound and dry.
.
The ports are plastic and made by “PYHI”. Sun damages the frame, it cracks, and water seeps in and no amount of rebedding can fix it. These are opening ports, which we never use as such, so it looks like we will replace with permanently fixed ports.
.
I had an idea that the panes in the ports were about the same size as the holes in the cabin sides, so I broke the old portlight apart, the one that was falling apart anyway. When I checked the pane with the hole in the cabin side, it was a nearly perfect fit. I broke apart the other, saved the stainless hinge bolts and the wing nuts that secure the port. Don't be alarmed at all this breaking, the plastic was sent into the recyling.
.
The exterior sheathing of the cabin side had been partially cut away, where it was loose. Now I did a more surgical job with the angle grinder. The technique is to grind against the exposed edge of the sheathing. If it is OK, it will blend into the wood surface. If it is bad, it will peel. Continue until it doesn't peel. When new sheathing is laid over the feathered edge, it is automatically at a beneficial scarfing angle, and feathering the excess will produce a good repair with no voids.
.
The problem with the weather was that an exterior epoxy repair could not be done, it would get too cold overnight. The bare wood of the cabin side would have to wait under a tarp cover till warmer weather.
.
Another pending job was repair of the top corner of the Hobie rudder. I decided to glue the corner back onto the rudder, then grind the result down and laminate some glass on it, then fair it. This could be done in the cabin with the propane heater warming things up.
.
The dockworker and Kaptain Kris began working on repairs to the plumbing of the water line to the dock. I pumped up the dinghy to use as a workboat for the lower plumbing parts under the dock. Oh, it is nice to have springlike weather, except for the other undisclosed leak that dripped on my crotch, making me look like an elderly incontinent. Well, maybe not quite yet. Covered with wet spots, epoxy stains, white shreds of sheathing, I was happy and content to drive back to the cottage with the top down, for the first time this season.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups