Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Redux

The inflatable (deflatable) dinghy I had bought was deteriorating. It had bottom seams separating. It is a West Marine branded dinghy made out of PVC. HH66 is the adhesive to reattach the seams. A friend had a similar problem and bought the same adhesive. I was waiting to hear from him how it worked [...]

06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

The Clincher

We decided to go to Amelia Island for the day, probably to the beach. Our plan to cycle around on the Raleigh 20’s seemed like a bad idea, Bleu can’t keep up with a bicycle for very long and when he quits he quits. So we would walk, where?, Fort Clinch State Park. She has a forever pass for Florida [...]

Goodbye Eli

27 June 2014 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/summerlike
The problem with bad fuel in the engine was resolved after draining the main fuel tank. The small day tank was poured through the Baja filter into a clear 2 gallon jar. The fuel looked good. The fuel from the main tank was in two 5 gallon jugs. The fuel was also passed through the Baja filter into the clear jar and some cloudiness was noted on the fuel from one of the jugs while the other jug had fuel with a definite separation layer, pinkish orange. The fuel was decanted off the pink layer and reserved. It certainly won't go back into the tank. The fuel line was removed from the main tank and attached to the day tank. The fuel filter has a water/sediment bowl that can be drained through a petcock. When it was drained, the drainage was collected in a glass jar and it was obviously bad fuel. The primer bulb was used to pump more fuel through the filter into the sediment bowl and it was repeatedly drained until the fuel became clear. The engine was then run at high speed to use the largest fuel jets and hopefully burn off whatever bad fuel was in the float bowls. After quite a while the engine was running perfectly, in port. The day tank ran dry and I was satisfied that the engine was back to normal.
.
The main tank will be left empty and checked after the next major rainstorm to see if water gets into the tank. It may be necessary to make a sort of dorade box around the fuel fill to prevent water getting into the tank. It may be that the fuel itself was bad or going bad when it was put in the tank.
.
The new Delorme Earthmate GPS bug had tested OK on the Linux machine running Navigatrix. Another computer arrived, a Panasonic Toughbook CF-52 with no hard drive, a broken right arrow button, and an improper SONY AC adapter which did fit the power port, but voltage wouldn't charge the battery to 100%. The CF-52 booted up on the Navigatrix DVD and recognized the Earthmate GPS after a while. It would be possible to use this laptop for navigation without installing a hard drive.
.
The second new GPS bug was a Deluo Universal GPS. The only driver available was a serial port emulator, I think PL-2303. When the GPS was plugged into the laptop, the cursor began to jump around. In the Linux machine, it was never recognized, but there is probably a way to get it to work there. An online forum post mentioned that the nav application has to be running before plugging in the GPS, so on an XP machine running OpenCPN, the Deluo was plugged in and it was recognized and provided a fix.
.
The plan now is to put the Toughbook in the pilothouse and transfer the Lenovo R60 from the pilothouse to the chartroom. Backup machines will be an older Toughbook for the pilothouse and the old Gateway for the chartroom.
.
A replacement for the failed main halyard winch was ordered from eBay, a bronze 2 speed winch for only $50 including shipping. It will be more durable than the marelon winch and at a lower cost than replacement with a new marelon winch.
.
The next day computers were located in their respective compartments. The Lenovo R60 and Gateway Solo were fired up in the chartroom and locked onto GPS using the Deluo and a Microsoft GPS bug. The Toughbook CF-52 booted up on Navigatrix DVD and locked onto the Delorme Earthmate GPS bug. The old Toughbook CF-50, which runs Windows XP and has had trouble booting up in the past, didn't boot. Another failure was the permanently installed Garmin GPS which is old enough to be defunct. We will need another GPS device to take its place.
.
A cheap solar charge controller arrived from China and I hope it is a typical pulse-width-modulated unit. These have a simple routine of charging up to an equalization voltage, then allowing a lower resting voltage to maintain the batteries. I put this onto the engine battery with 30 watts of solar charging to see how it does. The battery is dual purpose and takes a while to charge up to full charge.
.
The sad news that Eli Wallach had passed away prompts the photo. He was 98.

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups