Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Bodkin Anchorage

03 August 2014 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/summerlike
After anchoring in the mouth of Bodkin Inlet, a pasta dish was crafted in the galley. The galley water pump was on the fritz again, so I used bottled water to rinse things and cook the pasta. No spices. No utensils except a huge jar of plastic forks and knives, with a couple of plastic spoons in there somewhere. We had taken a cooking hint to use tomatoes to make sauce from scratch and now the only ingredient available to add to the concoction was a can of clams. Thus, red clam sauce made from a can of clams and a can of crushed tomatoes.
.
The sun set and a sundowner of cabernet helped wash down the pasta. It's amazing how any food can taste acceptable after a day out on the water.
.
I was relieved to see the swallows did not come flying to the boat, even though we were about a mile from their territory and they are among the fastest of birds. In the morning I cleared off their nests. It would be more cruel to let them continue to nest and suffer drowning or have their eggs die while the boat was out to sea.
.
We left under sail, pull up the anchor and leave it awash to clean off the mud, fight with the sails to get the boat out of the little cove, then head due West on port tack in flukey winds, finally firing up the engine for the last bit, anchoring across the inlet from the docks.
.
After anchoring and securing the sails at midday, I left the rest to be cleaned up later and headed to shore for a shower and maybe a nap. At the dock I dragged up the deflatable dinghy and flipped it to protect from possible rain and trudged up the hill and stopped in my tracks, where was my cell phone?
.
I was sure I had left the boat with it, but fatigued and fuzzy, I went back over my tracks, back to the dock, flipped the dinghy back over, launched it and returned to the boat. The phone was not on deck and its lanyard was not visible hanging from the deck table or helm station. I climbed aboard and looked around. This had happened before and it turned out that the phone, which is black, was sitting on the toughbook computer, which is black, and looking right at it, I didn't see it. Now I was looking all over the boat, knowing it might be right in front of me, concentrate! I did not see it. I looked again, down into each of the four ladders, into the galley, into the vanity area, into the chartroom, and into the pilothouse. Doublecheck the computer, is it sitting on it? No. I gave up. Perhaps I had finally knocked it over the side.
.
Back at the dock I retrieved the dinghy and flipped it over again. There next to the dinghy was the hand truck with the cell phone hanging from it. I was relieved but concerned.
.
It took more than a day to recuperate from either overdoing it or maybe a bug of some sort. I was achy and stiff. I had slept well on the boat and didn't do anything I hadn't done many times before, but this time I was hurting.
.
I had to return to clean up the aftermath and now the swallows had returned to kaimustrano. The may have been trying to rebuild their mud nests. I recleaned the areas where the old nests had been.
.
A used battery had come in for the old Gateway laptop, so I tried it out and it didn't seem to work. A stairstep on the ladder down into the chartroom broke free, so my work list now included the galley pump, keep an eye on the birds, and re-epoxy the stair step into position.
.
The galley pump turned out to have a broken brush wire. It took a while to find out what was wrong, it had been running intermittently, then started tripping its breaker. After disassembly and resoldering the braided wire, it ran again.
.
The swallows hadn't started building when I checked under the cross deck, also the main fuel tank hadn't taken on any rainwater.
.
The picture is of the entrance to Bodkin Inlet. I am trying to match picture size to what sailblogs.com is shrinking.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups