Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

What's Cooking?

06 November 2014 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/rainy and cold
It is time to begin provisioning for a long cruise. Food on board is one of the most important factors in maintaining the crew, both physical and morale. Some think the quality of the cook on a vessel is one of the most important factors in a successful voyage.
.
In a lot of cookbooks and on celebrity chef TV shows the oven is the professional choice to cook food. On most boats an oven is inefficient, hot, and in some cases not available. If we go back to the cookbooks and restaurants we find Chinese cooking centers around the wok, stovetop preparation, no oven. Japanese cooking styles include the raw ingredients and rice of sushi as well as the seaweed wrappers of sushi called nori.
.
I go through cycles of cooking, spending time on one genre then moving on to another. It was time to work with fried rice. It can be cooked on stove top, ingredients that do not require refrigeration, providing balanced nutrition, and having that comfort food effect that raises the morale of the crew.
.
In the old days ingredients on a boat would include eggs, onion, root vegetables such as potatoes, and canned meats, pickled products, maybe fruits that could last a while without refrigeration.
.
A lot of modern sailors are bypassing cooking difficulties by use of freeze dried meals, just boil water and bingo, you have a tasty meal. The cost of the meals is way out of proportion to the quality and quantity of the food. I have tried several brands of freeze dried meals and I can see little improvement on the taste and texture over what can be achieved using normal cooking methods. It is easier and quicker, sometimes. Certainly freeze dried meals should be kept on board for those times when preparation time is limited, when the cook is exhausted and unable to do it.
.
“The Yachting Cookbook” and “Classic Chinese” are two cookbooks that I've found to have excellent recipes that are or can be adapted to the galley. The internet is a great resource, but at sea you have to have your recipes already on board. They should be tested recipes, cook them on shore boat-galley style and work out any problems you might encounter at sea. Save the recipes.
.
I made chicken fried rice, something I haven't cooked in a very long time. Chicken needs refigeration though. Fried rice can be made with seafood, such as shrimp, which might be available fresh. An experienced chef can invent a recipe out of a few ingredients, so I decided to use nori, the seaweed sheets used to make sushi, and rice to make a fried rice with canned clams as the other ingredient.
.
The rice was cooked the day before using the liquid from the canned clams with enough water added to make up the 2:1 ratio of liquid:rice. I began heating the liquid and decided to add the nori now, before it was boiling, then add the rice later. There are recipes online that use nori in fried rice, but they add it later, cut into julienne style strips. It took a while for the liquid to come up to temperature so I did some laundry in the back room. When I returned the nori/clam stock mixture was all over the stove. It had boiled over. Some had gone down into the oven.
.
There are some natural substances that have exceptional qualities, like egg yolks or some cheeses that adhere to a hot surface stronger than an epoxy putty patch. Nori has this quality. It has to be removed before it dries, and it doesn't come along quietly. I had a hell of a cleaning job.
.
When I checked the cooking pot, I could see that more than half had vaporized and congealed in those places where the sun don't shine. I had to make a new batch to make up the difference. The cooking pot itself had a new almost ceramic-like coating of nori.
.
The nori/rice concoction was cooked as normal and left to cool. Later it was stir fried with the clams, scrambled eggs, garlic and ginger, and some soy sauce. A taste test indicated it needed an extra kick so a little Old Bay seasoning was added and it came out OK, edible.
.
It could be made without the eggs and it is probably better to add the julienne nori along with the rice, not boiled all over the stove.
.
The picture is not of Marcel, but a painting by Colette van Ojik called “The Cook” from saatchiart.com, it is available for purchase.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups