Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
23 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Tortured Ply Main Hull Pt. XIX

11 November 2014 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/Indian Summer
While the proa parts await attention, mostly painting, I got a chance to bring Kaimu to the dock. First winch up the anchor and motor to Pleasure Cove Marine for holding tank pump-out, then motor to the dock and tie up. Now the boat can be provisioned and readied for the up coming cruise.
.
The weather pattern was a low pressure off to the west providing a south wind and warm weather. As the low approaches things will deteriorate and the backside of the low will bring a polar outburst of much colder weather. It looks like 3 or 4 days of temperatures up in the 50's and 60's, then a cold spell of temperatures down in the 40's. It was time to finish the outrigger canoe(s) and put the epoxy away.
.
The wave piercer hull is basically done, so it was set up with the ama again and the crossbeam parts were lashed on. The idea is to have the beams constructed like an I-beam with the vertical part of the I consisting of blocks of wood. After cutting a bunch of blocks of wood using the table saw, they were temporarily clamped with the upper and lower parts of the I-beam. The beams taper from the main hull to the ama and I had decided to make the overall cross section square, so the space between the upper and lower pieces also tapers and the blocks of wood have to match that taper. First the blocks would be nailed and glued to the lower piece, then they would be marked for tapering, then the upper piecer would be nailed and glued. The rounding off, shaping, and attachment of cleats to locate lashings and locate the beams in the chocks on the hull and ama would have to wait. For now the crossbeams will be simply there to connect the hull to the ama with no sailing rig details, for the outrigger canoe will be paddle only to start out.
.
The tortured ply hull now had the cockpit floors glued in, so it was faired up using the flap disk and palm sander. Light bluish gray was painted on one hull side and white painted on an interior hull side as well as the gunwales. The picture is of the tortured ply hull on its side awaiting paint.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups