Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
23 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Sparring Partner II

13 December 2014 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/mild winter day
The marine surveyor finally showed up after a couple days of bad weather. I gave him a list of broken items and their prices including repair services needed to restep the mast. It turns out that I need to use the local power boatyard because their travel lift well is the only one nearby that can fit Kaimu. The sailboat yard that has tons of experience with rigging and mast work has a well that is too small. They can do the work at the powerboat yard.
.
In the meantime several camera lenses came in. One was a Canon EF-S zoom with auto focus and image stabilization. Another was a Canon EF without image stabilization and the annotion on the sales listing that is was “untested” and sold “as is”. These are warning signs that the lens might be no good. It turned out to be fine and at thirty bucks a real bargain. A Rikenon 28mm f2.8 lens came in that was sold for $12 on eBay due to a failed repair attempt. It was in nice shape otherwise. Getting all the parts of a lens assembled correctly and in order isn't easy. It's like a round Rubik's cube. It took about 6 hours to figure it out and do the work. The final test will be to set the focus ring index. In order to confirm the focus points the lens needs to be mounted on a camera, so an adapter is on its way.
.
The pieces of the destroyed deck table were removed to the dock and fittings removed. It was time to replace it anyway. Next the old mast was stripped of fittings. More than a few punky areas were found in inaccessable places, like under the inner forestay fitting and under the steaming light. It will be go to go to an aluminum mast. Corrosion would be the problem then.
.
Here is a picture of the mast before disassembly. Compare it to the picture taken with minolta lens with infinity adapter. What a difference a lens makes.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups