Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Little Lost Light

13 January 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/winter
The weather took an arctic turn, no pun intended, and we had single digit temperatures. I couldn't remember where I had stowed the antifreeze for the water system, perhaps I gave it away to the unfortunates who would remain in the frozen north while I basked in Florida sunshine. Now the shoe is on the other foot. The boat is unwinterized and heading into very cold weather.
.
After testing the remnants of the AquaSignal masthead light it was found that the LED bulb worked but the strobe function did not. The strobe function is technically illegal in USA waters and the masthead light with optional strobe costs more than twice as much as the ordinary masthead light. I had wired the old mast to make the strobe function available if I ever decided to add the strobe pulse generator necessary for it. Now I could omit the extra wire.
.
The AquaSignal series 40 light is a 10 or 25 watt 12VDC bulb and designed to dissipate that much power. The smaller series 25 uses a 10 watt festoon bulb which produces less heat. I ordered a series 25 lens that I will adapt to the series 40 base. Because we are using a low wattage LED bulb, we can use the slightly smaller and less expensive lens.
.
The lens was shipped from Texas and has spent more than a week going between various postal facilities in Texas. Very unusual.
.
The marine surveyor who evaluated the dismasting damage asked for us to provide an estimate from our prefered service provider, i.e. boatyard. It has been more than a month delay due to the surveyor not coming up with his own estimate and report to the insurance company. Now that the inlet is frozen and the boat covered with snow, it is difficult to have a boatyard estimator come by and prepare an estimate. I replied to the surveyor that due to this delay, the work will probably be impossible until the weather warms up and the inlet thaws out. The possibility of using the nearby marina's travel lift well depended on using it before winter set in, so getting the mast restepped becomes more difficult, probably requiring use of a boatyard in Annapolis.
.
The insurance company was cc'd the reply to the surveyor and issued a settlement rather quickly. The amount was almost twice what I had estimated.
.

Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups