Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

More Madness

04 February 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/mild
While we are waiting for the ambient weather to improve, and after enduring an investigation of the local Iroquois 30 over at the boatyard, for some reason I reviewed Chesapeake Light Craft's website, having visited their shop in Annapolis. They had the Outrigger Junior there, disassembled for storage, and lots of other kayaks. There was a white object leaning on the wall and it looked like a big daggerboard with a big cutout in its center. It was one of the Madness's rudders. Madness the proa, a 31 foot outrigger canoe with a cabin.
.
On their website I found the Madness Proa and they offered a study package of plans for about twenty bucks for the 25 pages. After I bought the package, which was accessed imediately after credit card approval, it plopped into my download file after I clicked on it.
.
The package of study plans apparently is what those who purchase the kits get for documentation. Those who order building plans get a different package of plans, which includes full size patterns. The kit builders get boat parts already cut out by a CNC machine and they can order most of the other pieces of lumber on another option plus there is an option of laminate and resin to add to the purchase. Or you could buy the completed boat from Chesapeake Light Craft.
.
The awaited day of mild temperatures came and I used it to finish making the new mast step. The old step was a flat aluminum plate with a 4 degrees of slope to match the mast base. The mast of course has 4 degrees of rake. I made a rectangular fence of sorts that surrounded the base of the mast and bolted with the plate to the beam that supports the mast. When the old mast went over, it blew apart the rectangular fence. For the new aluminum mast I decided to make a male plate that fits inside the mast base. This plate which is elliptical is bolted to the 4 degree sloped plate that was originally used with the wooden mast. The aluminum mast will rest on the sloped plate and be kept in place by the male plate.
.
I had already cut out a rough ellipse about 7 by 4 1/2 inches. After grinding it to shape, it was dressed with a belt sander to smooth it. It was then drilled for 4 5/16 inch aircraft bolts. The original sloped plate was marked and drilled to be tapped with 5/16 NC for the bolts. The two plates were then bolted together and test fitted to the mast. Scratch one item off the to-do list.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups