Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Cometron 12X70

28 February 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/depths of winter
It was last March 22nd when I posted that I could drive the Miata around with the top down. March 22nd is a month away.
.
For some reason I bought binoculars on eBay. I had an old pair with large objective lens that made it possible to see buoy colors when it was too dark to identify them with the naked eye. The environment on a boat is challenging to any optical device with salt and humidity leading to corrosion and lens fungus. My old pair also had high magnification which made viewing difficult needing a very steady hand to see things which on a boat is even more difficult. I wanted the same light gathering of a large objective but with less magnification. I found a pair of Celestron 12X70's for about sixty bucks and they are on their way. The main thing I learned, from the local Great White Hunter, was that we can only use about 5 millimeters of image, so light gathering with a large objective lens is limited due to the optics. 12X70 is a magnification of 12 and 70 millimeters of objective lens, and the optics result in an image diameter to our eye of 5.8 mm. So it is objective/magnification to get the resultant image to our eye. Larger objective needs larger magnification, otherwise the resultant image is larger than what our eye can accept. I did not know this before.
.
There are some impressive binoculars with great large objectives, but they must also have high magnification to provide an image that we can see. 25X125 for instance. Very powerful, but you would not be able to hold them steady enough at 25 magnification for a useful image. That's the way my old pair seems to be, they are probably 15X60. Most mariners are using 7X50's or 7X35's. Ships can use rather impressive binocular mounts and their steadier motion allows higher magnification and massive binoculars.
.
After a couple of days of checking the tracking of the binocular shipment, it looked like they hadn't been delivered to the shipper, so I contacted the seller and indeed, the binoculars had been damaged and not shipped. The seller drop shipped a new pair from their supplier and didn't charge me additional , so I was getting about $30 marked down. The binoculars arrived a couple days later via USPS priority, new in box. These are impressive looking binoculars with objective lenses nearly 3 inches in diameter. The 12X magnification is low enough that a steady image can be maintained, even on a sailboat. An additional adapter is included to allow mounting the binoculars on a tripod. The model name is Cometron and the light gathering capabilities and wide field of view are designed for viewing comets. The picture is of the 12X70's dwarfing the more normal 7X50's.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups