Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Remember the Maine

22 May 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/summerlike
The double block with becket from Ronstan is model number RF51210 with a breaking strength of over 2 tons. I had incorrectly thought it was the next lower model which uses a 3/16" shackle, this one uses a 1/4" shackle and is much stronger. In fact, the block didn't break, it was the shackle and becket that were gone. The shackle was replaced with a Harken, the becket was replaced with a 1/4" bolt with nylon tube to ease rope chafe.
.
The block was reinstalled in the port running backstay and both running backstays had line replaced with 100 feet of 3/8" line to allow the 5 part purchase enough length to attach to the wire portion of the running backstays when the mast was in position, horizontally laying forward and the base at the mast support beam in the middle of the boat. The other running backstay was reloaded with a hundred feet of line.
.
I can look back to last year, in the blog, to remember what I was doing back then, replacing portlights in the galley and getting ready to pick up an aluminum mast in Deale, Maryland. I also was selling the Hobie Cat. Now I don't have a convenient daysailer.
.
Cap'n Ed wanted to go sailing in the Bahama 24, so I joined him at the dock and made preparations to go to sea. A lead block for the jib was installed on the port rail. The boat was untied from Kaimu, where it was berthed outboard to starboard, and left hanging on one dockline from its bow. The main was raised and Ed pushed us off, to port, out into the inlet. The wind was coming from the head of the inlet and we tacked up using main only. The boat seemed sluggish and it looks like it is time to clean the bottom.
.
We tacked up to the marina at the head of the inlet, Pleasure Cove, then bore off and sailed downwind all the way toward the bay. The inlet heads directly east, then takes a 90 degree turn to port, north, and empties into the bay. We ran at first, then reached to the bay, then close hauled heading west toward Baltimore. The wind was 10-15 and we tacked our way along the south shore of the Patapsco, the arm of the bay that heads to Baltimore.
.
It was time to head back so we bore off on a starboard broad reach toward the day marks of the entrance to the inlet. We had to harden up sail and attempt to squeeze the little boat between the shoals that constrict the Bodkin. The mainsheet parted just then and we lost control of the boat for a bit. Losing the main meant the boat bore off with the jib pulling the bow off the wind. We manhandled the main to keep off the shoals and Ed used a spare jib sheet to rethread the main sheet blocks. The old damaged sheet was removed and we close hauled again to enter the inlet.
.
Ed started the little anemic 4 horsepower motor and while it buzzed along, we entered the Bodkin, dropping the jib which was now flapping violently. Once inside we could motorsail using just the main. We moved OK and tacked up the inlet. It was a relief to finally kill the engine and coast up to the starboard side of Kaimu and remoor the little 24 ft sailboat.
.
Kaptain Kris and Cap'n Neal were there to help us moor and listen to our story. The picture is of the mainsheet using a light air jib sheet with snapshackle to replace the old line.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups