Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Lending Club Sewing Challenge

17 July 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/Hot and Humid
The sewing continued on the mainsail stack pack sailcover. The main pieces of cloth were sewed together, the batten pockets and zipper sewed in. I left the ends unfinished until after fit was checked with the sail and mast. Also, lazy jack positions were left for later. The plan is to test hoist one of the halyards to act as a lazyjack and test configurations of either a 3 or 4 leg system and optimize the positions of the legs before cutting the holes for grommets at the attachment points. The plan is to hem and grommet the ends so that the ends can be closed up with line, allowing drainage.
.
Suggested lazy jack positions are 25, 50, and 85 percent of mainsail foot length. C-clamps will be clamped below the battens which form the top edge of the sailcover, at the suggested attachment points, then temporary lazy jack lines can be tied to them, adjusted, and hopefully a successful configuration can be set up. The old lazy jacks worked well without adjustment, but snagged batten tips when the sail was raised, and were too long, getting in the way of the helmsman when the boom swings over. The new ones will be at a slightly shorter length so that they are taut when the boom is lowered when the topping lift is let out, both when raising and lowering the sail. The lazy jacks take the weight of the boom and sail and tension the stack pack by pulling up on the battens at the attachment points. When the sail is fully raised the lazy jacks are slack and they have to be just at the length that places the stack pack battens level with the boom.
.
The battens will be PVC pipe as suggested by sailrite.com, and the PVC used when cleaning out the mast is available, the right length and size.
.
Our battens will be no match for those of Lending Club, a record breaking multihull speeding toward Hawaii from Southern California faster than I can type. They have a number of records including Newport to Bermuda in just under 24 hours. The photo is screen shot of their yellowbrick tracking page at: https://my.yb.tl/lendingclub2/ Currently only at 28 knots.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups