Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
23 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Shakedown!

20 August 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/Intermittent Thunderstorms
I got another tank of fuel and decided to take Kaimu out for a quick shakedown, test out the mainsail and roller furler genoa. Also run the engine some more and maybe get it to settle down. The wind was SSE which gave the inlet a more easterly wind funneling down on us. The main was raised and we motor sailed down the inlet. I could tell there was growth on the hulls, zebra mussels most likely, and that was holding us back.
.
At the dogleg North and out into the bay the wind was pushing Kaimu right out at 4 ½ knots with the main and genoa. I would say it was 5 to 10 knots of wind, mostly closer to the 5 mark. Out in the bay there was a wind line and some white caps. We close reached along the green daymarkers that point northeastward. A ship came up the channel an passed right in front of us. I decided to head back to the dock, it was dinner time. The genoa was rolled up and Kaimu motorsailed under main right back to the dock. There was almost no wind inside and dark thunder clouds were coming from the southwest. I headed right at the dock, then backed down and let her lie bow out and tied up.
.
The roller furler was not properly rolling the genoa, there were spaces between the sunbrella protection cloth. This is usually caused by the genoa sheets being too loose and too low while rolling it up. Another problem was the sheet leads through the double turning block was upside down, the genoa sheet should be in the top sheave and the staysail in the bottom. The result of them being backwards was the genoa sheet leading downward to the lower sheave at an angle that caused it to jam. Another problem was the mainsheet tangling with the Sailomat.
.
The engine ran acceptably and maybe it will improve with more use. The picture is of the inlet receding as we motored away. The windmill which hadn't been turning at the dock, began spinning when we were out in the bay with wind. I was afraid its bearings had become corroded. You can see the strange cloud formations that were coming in, bringing thunder and rain.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups