Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Day One

A Wharram Pahi 26 had been anchored in the river nearby the boatyard and was hauled out with the travel lift. I went around to look at it and talked to the owner couple. I was surprised that it had been built in Martinique in 1988. The boat is more than 30 years old.

Blood of the Turtle

25 September 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/overcast
The tilt/trim motor came in on Thursday instead of the following Monday. Great shipper. The plan was to use the time waiting for the motor to do a bunch of unfinished chores. I managed to finally service the batteries, way overdue, each cell taking about 4 ounces of distilled water. Capn Neal had given me a handy battery water pitcher that automatically dispenses the correct amount of water, however it runs into difficulty with the battery bank in the port hull. The space above the batteries is limited and the pitcher doesn't quite fit. Instead I've been using a small squeeze bottle that takes 8 ounces of water at a time. It is graduated, so I know how much water each cell is taking.
.
Another task was reattaching a batten pocket chafe strip that was coming loose. It was originally glued to the sail with urethane adhesive, now it got gooped and held in place with spring clamps.
.
The parts for the Honda outboard were ordered from Boats.net online at about 20 percent discount and free shipping. On the invoice it says “2 day air”. It looks like the parts will arrive before the service manual. An example of their pricing is the propeller shaft for $56 instead of the $78 from Honda. The only items not on the order are the shift lever and the throttle arm for the carburetor. The throttle arm isn't available separately, so getting a new one means buying the whole carburetor body for a bit over $100. Honda's list price is $154. Still, the engine is worth $500-600 in running condition. The shift lever is part of a unit that passes right through the engine and looks like a bit of trouble to remove and replace. The part that is missing is a simple arm that can be easily be fabricated from aluminum and attached to the stub that is left from the original unit. Nothing has to be disassembled.
.
The plan is to see if the engine runs with the original carburetor and use a clamp as a temporary throttle arm. If it runs, then a throttle arm will be made out of stainless plate. If it doesn't run, then the carburetor body will have to be purchased.
.
The question from the last couple of lunar photos was what was the length of the lenses. The Paragon is 200mm which on the EOS 30D equates to 329mm, and the Alpexes are 135mm which equate to 216mm. The image from the Paragon in larger, while the Alpex is producing a smaller image that needs to be blown up to match the Paragon's. Even so, the Alpex looks like a sharper image. Cirrus clouds may have hurt the Paragon. We are hoping to take pictures during the eclipse this weekend, but weather is also predicted.
.
When I installed the trim motor I dropped one of the screws and found out it was antimagnetic, so I couldn't fish for it with a magnet. It sleeps with the fishes of the Bodkin. Strangely, the new motor came with six washers, but only three bolts hold the motor in place. The answer came when the first screw bottomed out, the washers are a crude way to make up the difference in the motor flange, the new one is thinner than the original. Since I had to go to the hardware store to purchase a replacement for the one I dropped, I bought a full set, plus one, of M5X16 socket head cap screws. If I drop one of those, I had one extra, if I drop two, I will have to use one of the old ones with the washers.
.
It was difficult to work from the dinghy but eventually the motor was installed. The socket headed machine screws use a 4mm allen wrench which could secure the screw from falling by punching through a piece of paper into the head of the screw. The trapped paper binds the screw to the wrench. A brick battery was used from the dinghy to power the tilt motor and lower the engine. The relay where the motor leads are connected are at the lower front of the engine and inaccessible when the motor is tilted up.
.
I found myself sitting on top of the flywheel and working on electrical connections down near my heels. Fortunately the new motor had leads that were the same color coding as the original. The motor turned the correct direction, it came up when the up control was pressed. The new motor was much quieter than the old and the motor is tilting up and down better than new. Now we can leave the dock.
.
The picture is from saatchiart.com called Red-on-Red by Stanko Ropic of Germany available, also as prints.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups