Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Honda BF5A Outboard

29 September 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/rainstorm
The modified fuel fill on the main tank will take a couple days to build up. It's three layers of 3/4" wood block shaped to hold the fuel fill and it will be epoxied on top of the tank. The tank has been emptied and we have about 8 gallons of bad gas to dispose of.
.
I was trying to search a blog I had followed on blogger and found it didn't come up in search engines. I found out that the best way to search blogger is to create a blog profile and add the search terms to it, then click on them to see any blogs that also have the same search term. The blog page I made basically says to come here for my blog.
.
While the parts for the Honda outboard are here and waiting, the service manual has slowly been wending its way through the postal system. It will arrive later today, actually about 4 days earlier than predicted.
.
The manual arrived and I eagerly tore off the wrapping. It turned out to be exactly what was needed, a factory manual with all the modifications and appropriate serial numbers. This engine uses an external fuel tank and the fuel connections have been changed over the years. I want to use the Yamaha day tank and make up a fuel hose that has a Yamaha connector for the fuel tank and a Honda connector for the engine. But what connector does the engine have? I took a look at it and then looked at Honda's excellent parts look-up online. The service manual had a fuel tank blown up parts schematic and it matched the specific schematic on the Honda site, but it also identified the fuel connector as the one for the engine. The Honda website schematic just has the part number... Crossing the part number online got the exact fuel connector, ordered, and coming from Florida, so should arrive soon. A stock Yamaha fuel line was ordered online also. The total price was the same as the cheapest Honda stock fuel line. If the engine was a year or two newer, it would have been a lot less.
.
Another item with sketchy information was the throttle control arm that sits on top of the carburetor and is not listed as a separate part. Here again, the service manual had the entire system from the control handle on the engine's tiller through a very complicated linkage and finally to the carburetor. There is a diaphragm and rod that prevent the throttle from being closed too quickly. It looks like the choke interacts with the throttle linkage when the choke knob is pulled. The transmission limits the throttle when in neutral or reverse to prevent over-revving the engine. A new throttle control arm will be made out of aluminum and the service manual has an accurate layout of how it needs to be made.
.
The engine might be made to run properly, but the most obvious repair is the broken propeller shaft and missing propeller. The service manual shows in detail what is involved with propeller shaft replacement and it's not as simple as popping out the old shaft and popping in the new shaft. The gears to shift forward and reverse are part of the propeller shaft assembly and it looks like the propeller shaft shifts (pardon) slightly forward and aft to engage the gears. The spacing of the gears is critical or else you could have both gears engaged at the same time or miss engaging one of the. I know of someone who has this very same problem. If your engine doesn't engage in one gear or the other, the prop shaft is probably jammed from going all the way in that direction.
.
Once again sailblogs is preventing loading a photo normally, it keeps rotating it 90 degrees.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups