Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
11 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
04 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
03 October 2023 | Alice B. Tawes, McReady Pavilion, Crisfield, Maryland Eastern Shore
Recent Blog Posts

No blog posts yet...

Glum Forecast

01 October 2015 | Bodkin Inlet/Chesapeake Bay
Capn Andy/rain, wind, more rain
After looking at the Honda engine diagrams it looks like my description of the gear mechanism is incorrect, the prop shaft doesn't move fore and aft, a dog clutch, which is like a sleeve that can engage the forward and reverse gears, moves fore and aft. The clutch jams into one of the gears and now that gear drives the shaft because the dog has a pin through the shaft, so the shaft must turn with the dog. The pin passes through the shaft through a slot, not a hole, and the slot allows the pin to move fore and aft, plus there is a plunger inside the shaft that is spring loaded and is also pinned by the pin. The gear change linkage pushes the end of the plunger and that moves the dog.
.
We had some rain and a forecast for a nor'easter, then a tropical storm over the next week or so. Any dry time was precious, so I got to work on the engine. The broken starter gear was replaced and the carburetor was removed, disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and reinstalled. The jets were cleaned with WD-40 and compressed air. The main jet was badly mangled and impossible to remove, so it was cleaned in place. Fingers crossed. The fuel line that feeds the carburetor was disconnected from the fuel pump and clamped in an upright position so that fuel could be drained into the carburetor from a small squeeze bottle. The old rusty spark plug was cleaned up with a rotary wire brush. With the choke engaged the motor fired up after a couple of pulls. It ran!
.
I put a 5 gal. bucket of water under the lower unit so the engine could run with proper cooling. It took a while to warm up, then it would rev right up. Now we have to fabricate a throttle arm for the carburetor and install the new prop shaft and propeller.
.
The work will have to be inside. Take a look at the forecast.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups