Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Glue Job

06 April 2016 | St. Mary's, GA
Capn Andy/Clear and Mild
The day began early with some motivation to start the fiberglass rovings on the skegs. Sometimes you feel like it isn’t going to be a good day, so you drag your feet and nothing gets done, but nothing gets ruined. When you feel motivated, then things get done, but in this case it didn’t turn out too well.
.
The problem was I was working alone and the procedure required wrapping the fiberglass roving “sandwich” around the wax paper wrapped rudder pin, then clamping three pads on each side of the skeg to hold the fiberglass in place as well as squeezing out excess epoxy resin. It was impossible to hold the pads in place and screw a C-clamp with one hand.
.
It was very frustrating, but I found the hot melt glue gun useful to stick the three pads together to form one pad that had a layer of plastic so it would release from the epoxy, a layer of foam to spread the clamping pressure to the plastic, and a layer of wood so the clamps had something stiff to clamp onto. It was still difficult. The pads tended to twist as the clamp was screwed tight and the fiberglass under the pads would get distorted. The epoxy made it very easy for the fiberglass to move around on the skeg. Once again the glue gun came in handy. I glued one of the pads to the skeg just a little past the edge of the fiberglass and epoxy. The procedure was to prime the skeg with raw epoxy, but use the pad as an indicator of how far to go with the priming. Leave a little dry spot. Soak the roving sandwich in its little tray with 4.5 ounces of resin, then wrap it around from one side of the skeg to the other and around the rudder pin. The fiberglass would stay in place but tend to sag and slide slowly down, so quickly add a bead of hot melt glue at the far edge of the fiberglass, then slap a pad over it. It takes only a minute or so for the glue to begin to solidify. Then take the other pad and use it to tighten up the fiberglass sandwich. At the same time bring a clamp into position and screw it down tight. Then add a second clamp to even the pressure over the pads.
.
The last pad went on the best. All the others had one thing or another go wrong and will have to be remedied after they set up and can be inspected to see how bad and how much reworking is necessary. One is missing one of the roving layers, which will have to be added later. At least one of the others slipped down from its position a bit, so it will probably need and extra bit of glass. Some of the wraps around the rudder pins didn’t stay all nice and smooth, some of the roving layers came a bit loose. Hope that can be fixed with some high density filler. Not a great job in total, but probably can be made right with another epoxy day.
.
One of the boats in the yard is named Dawn Treader, as are many other boats, but unlike many of the others it has been well out to sea and the young couple who are having this adventure have a web page at http://sailingdawntreader.com/. They are doing some interesting things to the boat, a stout 30 foot double ender.
.
The picture is of the sloppy glue up on the starboard skeg. You can see how the clamping pads had slipped. It actually turned out better than the port skeg.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups