Kaimusailing

s/v Kaimu Wharram Catamaran

Vessel Name: Kaimu
Vessel Make/Model: Wharram Custom
Hailing Port: Norwalk, CT
Crew: Andy and the Kaimu Crew
About: Sailors in the Baltimore, Annapolis, DC area.
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA
07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA
21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA
23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
15 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
11 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
06 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA
26 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
14 January 2024 | St. Marys, GA
09 January 2024 | St Marys, GA
23 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
10 December 2023 | St Marys, GA
25 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | St. Marys, GA
17 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
03 November 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
26 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
17 October 2023 | Somers Cove Marina, Crisfield, MD
Recent Blog Posts
17 April 2024 | St Marys, GA

Dinghy Skeg

I was suffering with what seemed like a cold and also had allergy symptoms. I awoke and felt fine. The green pollen that was coating everything was gone. Maybe it will return.

07 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Clammy Hands

Items came in from TEMU, the Chinese cut rate retailer. One was a nice little drone that cost about twelve and a half dollars. It looked like an easy thing to play with while I coughed and sneezed. I was fighting a summer cold, even though it is not summer elsewhere, it seems like it here. A nice [...]

02 April 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Sun Doggie

After laminating the cedar strips onto the gunwales of the dinghy I found the screws I used wouldn’t come out. The epoxy had seized them. The screw heads were stripped so I cut a straight slot in the heads with the cut off wheel. The cedar smoked when the screw heads got red hot. I could remove [...]

21 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

Just Add Water

The rainy weekend started off with overcast and fog but no rain. It looked like I might be able to get something done on the D4 dinghy. I wanted to change the bow seat which is really the bow deck. The sailing option uses the deck to hold the freestanding mast. I didn’t like how the deck looked, [...]

01 March 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Dinghy Alternative Seats

The rain event was more wind than rain, strong winds with gusts up to 44 mph. We drove into town to see what the harbor was like. There was a small sailboat that had dragged anchor and was sitting close to shore. The tide was out. We left and played with Bleu at Notter’s Pond.

23 February 2024 | St. Marys, GA

D4 Inside Seams

Day two of the dinghy build started out with me finishing wiring the hull bottoms together on the centerline of the bottom panels. This was much easier than the wiring of the chine edges of the bottom panels and the side panels.

Secrets of the Culinary Trade

08 June 2016 | St. Mary's, GA
Capn Andy/Hot and humid
A tropical depression was forecast to come in from the gulf, cross northern Florida, and hit us with high winds and torrential rains. Work ceased and we battened down the hatches. Some rain did fall intermittently and I read a couple books on the kindle. One was “iWoz”, Stephen Wozniak’s story of starting Apple Computer with Steven Jobs. He wanted to set the record straight that he designed the Apple II personal computer on paper and then built the prototype himself. That is a remarkable feat. He also hand built the first floppy disc drive interface. for the Apple. He also programmed it as well as the first BASIC operating system for Apple.
.
Our own computer phenomenon arrived in the rain and when I went on the bike down to the boatyard office to pick it up, it was closed due to inclement weather. I biked back and read some more.
.
The next morning it was obvious we had received quite a bit of rain, but the storm had split in two with a major part of it skirting us and heading North, while the rest of it headed East, so we had just a bit of high winds, not a huge tropical storm. The parts computer delivered the day before was at the office and I could open the box, ascertain that it was operating properly, load the previous unit, that had never worked right, into the same box, and shipped it off, back to the vendor. If you search for Panasonic CF-52 on eBay, you will find them available at eshoppingplace, or something like that. They are located in Lorton, Virginia. The parts computer is cosmetically in excellent condition and only needs the disc drive and disc drive caddy to be put into operating condition. My old chassis says it has over 35,000 operating hours in BIOS, but the new one has about 2500. I will buy another from them, the price is right.
.
Webb Chiles has continued his circumnavigation and is crossing the north, tropical, coasts of Australia. His information is at inthepresentsea on blogspot.com.
.
On the Wharram builders and friends website a Raka 36 restoration project has become available, for free. While there are many free boats that are worth less than zero, this one looks like a good candidate, a fun boat for a fraction of the usual build effort. The Raka design was not the most popular due to its inbetween size, kind of small for voyaging, and a bit large for daysailing/weekending. It is a racing design, however, so performance will be right up there.
.
The Brits next door have achieved a very high gloss on their Fountaine-Pajot catamaran, but it bit them back due to the rainfall and wet surfaces. They have not yet done the non-skid and as a result there was a nasty fall down the port sugar scoop, bouncing off things. The glossy paint did not get marred.
.
The #2 beam troughs were wire brushed, sanded, and painted with leftover rust paint after the beam brackets were finished with two coats. This is an old oil based paint that I’ve been told is good for wooden surfaces. The beam brackets and rubber spacers were reassembled, but not bolted down, and the beam #2 assembly, which only consists now of about 4 planks of wood, was forced into position. There are more planks already beveled for installation, but they have to dry out a bit due to all the rain.
Comments

About & Links

SailBlogs Groups