sailing

30 May 2013 | Porto
30 May 2013 | Portugal
22 May 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
20 May 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
15 May 2013 | Povoa
24 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
24 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
07 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
07 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
07 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
07 March 2013 | Povoa de Varzim
20 September 2012 | Povoa de Varzim
20 September 2012 | Povoa de Varzim
14 September 2012 | Povoa de Varzim
14 September 2012 | Cambrai
14 September 2012 | Cambrai
13 September 2012 | Cambrai
08 July 2012 | Povoa
06 July 2012 | Povoa
02 July 2012 | Povoa de Varzim

Escaped at last

16 June 2012 | Cascais
We have finally escaped from Lagos and arrived in Cascais. The passage was about 24 hours and typically the wind was on the nose so no sailing. It was a bit lumpy rounding Cape St Vincent but that´s often the case. During the day we saw few boats apart from some yachts motoring south and the night watches were very quiet, with us arriving in the marina at Cascais at 0730. We refuelled and then checked in for one night.

We were given a complimentery bottle of red wine which hasn´t happened before and I imagine it is due to the recession and wanting to welcome customers.

In the evening we went for a meal at a very good Indian restaurant we had eaten at in the past and were not disappointed. It is advisable to book but we had no trouble as we were there at 1930 and it was still quiet.

What we had not realised was that it was the weekend for the European Harley-Davidson Rally (HOGS) and the town was teeming with bikes and leather clad bikers. It was an amazing sight with all the highly polished machines parked row upon row and a steady slow-moving procession of proud owners posing on their bikes riding around the seafront area with a lot of noisy firing exhauts - show-offs. Bikers had come from all over, the Dunedin chapter wearing kilts of course. What really made it for us, as Steve's not a Harley fan and has a Firestorm and a Deauville for long trips at home, was the Rock concert on a huge stage near the beach with an excellent light show. There was a very good Led Zepplin tribute band, Elvis act and others which made it a good night but we couldn't stay till late as we were off early the next day. There were awards given out on stage for the oldest biker, a guy of 82 who has been winning for a few years and a man from Poland got an award for the longest journey to get there.
Comments
Vessel Name: kaivalya
Vessel Make/Model: Colvic Countess
Crew: Steve and Sue

Who: Steve and Sue