Finally!

Vessel Name: Katahdin
Vessel Make/Model: Cambria 44
Hailing Port: Cape Elizabeth, ME
Crew: Larry and Cathy Clough
About: We have been cruising Maine waters for 30 years on a Pearson 26, an Ericson 34, and now a Cambria 44
Extra: On our first journey south we left Maine in early September of 2011 to travel to the Caribbean and back over 9+months. Now we've begun our second trip, taking it at a bit more leisurely pace.
18 May 2016
25 March 2016
09 March 2016
21 February 2016
26 January 2016
05 January 2016
18 December 2015 | Jolly Harbor, Antigua
06 December 2015
21 November 2015
17 November 2015
13 November 2015
19 June 2012 | Portland Harbor
16 June 2012 | Provincetown, MA
12 June 2012 | Great Salt Pond, Block Island, RI
Recent Blog Posts
25 May 2016

Hashes, Hikes, and Hauling

Hashes, Hikes, and Hauling

18 May 2016

Grenada

At the end of March we sailed along the east coast of Grenada from Carriacou to the bays at its southern end. Since we were not sailing in the lee of the island we took a precautionary seasickness pill, Stugeron, which is not available in the US but which, as a non-prescriptive medication, can be purchased [...]

06 May 2016

Carriacou, Grenada's Grenadine Island

I'd like to fire myself as a blog writer. I have no excuse for waiting a month before writing about one of the most enjoyable islands we've been to. In my defense I'd say that to start writing about Grenada and its islands is to acknowledge that the incredible sailing adventure we've experienced would [...]

25 March 2016

The Grenadines

The Grenadines

09 March 2016

St. Lucia

St. Lucia

21 February 2016

Martinique Sud, and a Sample of our Daily Life aboard Katahdin

Today is February 21st. We left St. Pierre on the 8th and meandered our way down Martinique’s west coast to St. Anne at the southeast tip of the island. Along the way we overnighted in 3 anses (anse is a Creole word for bay), with decent snorkeling and hiking, 2 nights in the yachting center for [...]

Out of the Chesapeake, back in Cape May

25 May 2012 | Cape May, New Jersey
Cathy/mild, calm
After we left Norfolk 10 days ago, we journeyed the length of the Chesapeake, transited the C&D canal, and are now motoring down Delaware Bay to our anchorage at Cape May. We had expected to hoist our sails and, with the hoped-for combination of astern wind and gentle seas, enjoy our passage up the Bay. But it was not to be. Basically we have motored the entire distance except for 3 days of beating back and forth in pounding seas and strong northerlies from the York River up to Annapolis. The weather gods are against us, and we are humbled, once again.

Even though the sailing part has been decidedly subpar, we have enjoyed our stays. First of all, we anchored across the York River in Sarah Creek at Gloucester Point, rented a car, and explored both Yorktown and Jamestown, both of which we have never seen. We had an incredible time at Yorktown, made richer by a superb tour guide who was engaging and supremely knowledgeable about that time in our nation's history. For example, we learned what armaments both sides had and how far the shells flew, how the Americans and French dug trenches to enable a more protected approach to the British outlying strongholds, how the Yorktown battlefield was a golf course in the early part of the 20th century, and how the CCC, after the federal government purchased it during the Depression, identified and preserved its still visible fortifications. And most importantly for the survival of our nascent country, how much of a difference one or two days makes: the English fleet, having sailed from New York City to engage the French fleet, arrived too early at the mouth of the Chesapeake, gave up looking for the French and returned to NYC, opening up that bay to the establishment of a French blockade which ensured the Yorktown victory two months later.

Jamestown yielded similar feelings, though our tour guide was just OK. Of course, having grown up 20 miles north of Plymouth, MA, I was - and probably will be - always for the Pilgrims as the first European permanent settlers of this country, although Jamestown's settlement predated Plymouth's by 14 years. But it was a commercial venture from the start, not one of seeking religious freedom. Perhaps there's room for 2 first settlements in our part of the New World, for different reasons?

An interesting fact at Jamestown is the recent discovery, starting in 1994, of the actual footings of the original settlement. This is still an on-going process and areas within the stockade were roped off to permit continued archeological excavation of the original footings of buildings. A nearby museum, called the Archaearium, houses many of the artifacts discovered during the excavation process, including silver bodkins, food vessels/utensils, and a few skeletons. We had previously visited Williamsburg, the missing third of this most engaging early Americana triangle, so we bypassed it for now.

After a fairly rough trip up to Annapolis, we picked up a mooring near the town docks. During a seminar in this town 14 months previous, we had the pleasure of meeting Jeff and Jae who live in Annapolis and are almost ready to take off on their own sailing adventure. We enjoyed their company immensely then and this time, having a wonderful dinner at their house and using their laundry facilities (fellow cruisers know what other cruisers need!). We shared some of our thoughts for a successful voyage and, as it's been a wonderful trip, it was easy to be enthusiastic about the past 9 months.

Because we were in the home of Naval Academy, we also toured the grounds and, because it was - serendipitously for us - graduation week, we saw some events that only occur at this time of year. First of all, the plebes had to organize themselves to scale a 20+ foot obelisk which has been greased down in order to replace a cap with a hat, all part of rising to sophomore status. It was a hoot to see attempt after attempt to boost themselves from a multiple-layer plebe base up the obelisk, only to slide down again. Of course, given that they were being sprayed with water most of the time, one can understand how difficult a challenge it was. But, after 2 and ¼ hours, to loud cheers and cannon shots, they succeeded.

The next event, the following morning, was the color guard parade when all the companies of the junior class, with bands, march around at a particular field. Certain companies are awarded leadership honors based on how they performed in academic, athletic, and other areas. The backdrop for this was the Severn River where Navy midshipman were sailing back and forth, raising spinnakers when possible with the Navy colors displayed. It was very impressive.

After an overnight at a quiet anchorage just before the C&D canal, we spent yesterday afternoon and evening in Chesapeake City at the free (!) town dock, and departed at 6:30 this morning to catch the best tide going down Delaware Bay. We expect to be anchored by dinnertime tonight, and anticipate doing an overnight tomorrow - the first one since we arrived back in the US - up to Staten Island.

ps - the image included is that of some fascines at Yorktown, defensive pointed stakes aimed at the onrushing enemy.
Comments
Katahdin's Photos - Main
We spent most of the last month of our cruise in Mt. Hartman Bay on the southern coast of Grenada. There is a wonderful community of cruisers in this and nearby bays, and we found plenty to do and new friends to make. What we particularly enjoyed were the hashes and hikes we did each week. Do ready the blog of the same name if you want to discover what a hash is.
19 Photos
Created 25 May 2016
Grenada is, if not our favorite, at least in the top three. It is a large island, the people are fantastic, and there is so much to see and do that we were too busy to consider posting a blog. But, now that we're back in Maine, we have no more excuses.
11 Photos
Created 6 May 2016
Petite St. Vincent (PSV) is part of its namesake, while Petite Martinique belongs to Grenada. They are both considered part of the Grenadine archipelago and are separated by perhaps 1/2 a mile. In fact, they are so far off the normal route that a boat can travel from one to another without having to clear customs on another island.
9 Photos
Created 6 May 2016
Carriacou is one of the Grenadine islands; St. Vincent owns most of them but not this one or Petite Martinique. It is an interesting island, hilly with a shipbuilding heritage. We especially liked it because of the large number of cruisers who anchor for a while in Tyrell bay on the southwestern coast.
9 Photos
Created 6 May 2016
The Grenadines are a group of tiny to small islands just south of St Vincent and just north of Grenada. With a few exceptions they are wonderfully welcoming and quite beautiful, though, because there has been a consistent drought throughout the past 10 or so months, there's not much greenery.
17 Photos
Created 25 March 2016
From Rodney Bay to the Pitons, and nothing in between.
9 Photos
Created 9 March 2016
On the way to our current anchorage at St. Anne at the bottom of Martinique we visited 3 other delightful bays along the way. We've been doing our usual hiking and swimming activities, but this blog also reveals what a "typical" day for us is like.
15 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
During our first visit to St. Pierre we didn't go far afield. This time we did and have a new appreciation for this area.
13 Photos
Created 21 February 2016
We had a fabulous time on this island, one of the poorest in the Caribbean. It has been blessed with fantastic beauty and we did our best to take it all in.
21 Photos
Created 7 February 2016
After visiting the Pigeon islands and La Soufriere we were looking for places not so popular, and we found them.
21 Photos
Created 26 January 2016
The photos are from two distinctive and well-known locations on this island. First, from the Jacques Cousteau underwater preserve at Isles des Pigeons on the west coast, and then from the hike up to the tallest mountain on the island, La Soufriere, a still semi-active volcano at almost a mile height.
16 Photos
Created 16 January 2016
The photos are from two distinctive and well-known locations on this island. First, from the Jacques Cousteau underwater preserve at Isles des Pigeons on the west coast, and then from the hike up to the tallest mountain on the island, La Soufriere, a still semi-active volcano at almost a mile height.
6 Photos
Created 16 January 2016
We spent most of the past few weeks in English Harbor which was an idyllic spot to celebrate the holidays with our family
20 Photos
Created 5 January 2016
These were our last stops in the Virgin Islands where we spent a whole month. It's a great place, and lots of people know that as there are lots of other sailors such as ourselves.
13 Photos
Created 18 December 2015
We're spending a few weeks lazily navigating around the numerous islands here, looking for great snorkeling and sunsets.
12 Photos
Created 6 December 2015
7 Photos
Created 21 November 2015
Katahdin ended up here after being a "passenger" on a freighter. We joined her on 11/15/15.
5 Photos
Created 17 November 2015
Katahdin makes her way south to St. Thomas, piggy-backing atop a freighter.
2 Photos
Created 13 November 2015
We arrived in Fernandina Beach on 4/11, and hope to be back in Maine sometime in the latter part of June.
1 Photo | 9 Sub-Albums
Created 12 April 2012
We expect to meander slowly northward through the Bahamas before we cross the Gulf Stream again.
1 Photo | 13 Sub-Albums
Created 17 March 2012
We overnighted to Luperon from Gilligan's Island in Puerto Rico, and spent a wonderful 5 days, having adventures out of the town.
26 Photos
Created 17 March 2012
We took our time in the Spanish Virgin Islands, but sped along the southern coast of Puerto Rico
1 Photo | 1 Sub-Album
Created 1 March 2012
We took our time traveling from Portland into the Chesapeake, enjoying some beautiful stops along the way
1 Photo | 8 Sub-Albums
Created 8 February 2012
Martinique is quite beautiful, and we've enjoyed our stay here. However, we will start heading back north in the next day or so.
20 Photos
Created 7 February 2012
These include Anguilla, St. Martin, St. Barts, down to Guadaloupe and Dominica.
1 Photo | 12 Sub-Albums
Created 18 December 2011
We arrived in Nanny Cay in the BVI on November 21, and will travel around the BVI and the US VI over the next month.
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 21 November 2011
The rudder leakage issue shadowed our first two weeks in Virginia; after the repairs, even the sunsets were more spectacular.
1 Photo | 2 Sub-Albums
Created 8 November 2011
An album of many of the places we visited through Chesapeake Bay on our way to Virginia
1 Photo | 7 Sub-Albums
Created 18 October 2011