Kathrian

03 March 2015
13 January 2015 | Simpson Bay Lagoon, Sint Maartin
09 January 2015
27 December 2014 | English Harbour, Antigua
19 December 2014
08 December 2014 | Isles de la Petite Terre, Guadeloupe
05 December 2014 | Portsmouth, Dominica
27 November 2014 | Admiralty Bay, Bequia
20 November 2014 | Admiralty Bay, Bequia
08 November 2014
02 July 2014
22 June 2014 | Simpson Bay, Sint Maarten
10 May 2014
02 April 2014
26 February 2014
01 February 2014

Admiralty Bay, Bequia

20 November 2014 | Admiralty Bay, Bequia
"Let it Blow, Let it Blow, Let it Blow"


By Wednesday morning the boat was in decent enough shape for us to make our exit out of Prickly Bay which the boat has called home for the past 4+ months. So, after stocking the cupboards and the fridges we let loose the lines late on Wednesday afternoon. Our first trip was just to St. Georges where we would meet up with some past traveling buddies. Unfortunately the wet weather hasn't made our friends painting jobs any easier and they weren't going anywhere. So after a rain day delay of our own we finally left St Georges on Friday for Carriacou just some 35nm to the north.

The trip north brought short choppy waves and a few squalls as we passed over top of "Kick em Jenny" an underwater volcano which has still been active in recent years. Our landing spot was Tyrell Bay in Carriacou. While out for dinner at the Lazy Turtle we met up with some other Canadians that we've become friends with over the years in Grenada. They were collecting their prize of dinner and wine for winning second overall in the recent Carriacou Sailing Regatta.

Our plan was to visit the Tobago Cays for some snorkelling and exploring but after looking at the weather more closely being at an exposed anchorage behind a reef would not be a good spot to be with the weather reported to be coming our way by the middle of next week. Unfortunately we will have to forgo that trip this time but will put it in our plans on the return trip in the late spring. Our next port of call was to be Bequia and with its well protected anchorage we decided to head that way but first we would stop at Sandy Island for a bit of snorkelling and a quick trip to explore Hillsborough Bay. These winds are called the Christmas Winds and they seem to be arriving earlier every year. Donna and I figure they must arrive as soon as the radio stations start playing the Christmas tunes and don't stop until the last Christmas light is turned off...sometime in February.

While anchoring in Hillsborough the windlass started jamming often and after close examination found the stripper had worked itself loose and a quick fix was necessary before I could retrieve the anchor in the morning. And so the trip in to Hillsborough turned into a trip to find some help in repairing the windlass. It soon became evident that finding a shop that could help would be useless especially that time in the afternoon on a Sunday so a bit of 'Magivering' was necessary.

Not much happens in Hillsborough unless a cargo boat shows up at the dock which I was lucky enough to see while there. It's certainly a different world down here, I thought, as I watched these fit young men unloading the old motor sailing cargo ship by hand. Tossing cases of beer and many other heavy items like they could do it all day. Truck after truck pulled along side and the relay teams would fill each truck in no time, all the while laughing and joking amongst each other.

With each passing squall we would close the hatches and 10min later open everything back up again. And even though this pattern would repeat itself all evening and through the night we still had a great BBQ and a beautiful sunset.

In the morning it was off at 'first light' with fingers crossed hoping my quick fix to the windlass would hold. Thank goodness it did and it was off we went. Again the wind direction and speed, which carried from 17degrees off the nose to 85degrees and from 4kts to 28kts had us motor sailing the entire way through squall after squall. Visibility at times was reduced to nothing. Luckily the waves were not high and the trip wasn't so bad. At times when we could see we saw fish feeding frenzies with tuna jumping out of the water to get over top of their chum. At times the excitement attracted hundreds of birds who come to pick up the chum as the tuna drive them to the surface. At times this activity would be no farther than 60ft from our boat...and yes we had two fishing lines out and no we didn't catch one tuna! Nothing but a skinny Barracuda...I can't explain it.

Once in Admiralty Bay we were greeted by boat boys that showed us to a mooring ball, which I was grateful for so I didn't have to use my anchor windlass. The locals here embraced the cruising community and have enterprisingly set up floating services so that one can buy anything from fresh breads from one boat, vegetables and fruits from another while one boat comes and picks up and returns your laundry an even a floating barge to dispense fresh water, diesel fuel and ice. Small rowing skiffs come by with fresh lobster and fish and if you are low on wine or beer they will bring that the next day as well...all you have to do is ask.

Since it looks like the weather will keep us here for the next week we are busy fixing a few items that need attention and we find good help in some of the small shops in town.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kathrian
Vessel Make/Model: Corbin 39 'Special Edition'
Hailing Port: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Crew: Jack & Donna
About:
My name is Jack Verheyden. I am 55 yrs old and took up sailing some 30yrs ago when I saw a small trailerable sailboat being pulled along a road. [...]
Kathrian's Photos - Main
BVI, St Martin and Panama
70 Photos
Created 11 June 2015
31 Photos
Created 3 March 2015
19 Photos
Created 13 January 2015
74 Photos
Created 23 December 2014
20 Photos
Created 12 December 2014
42 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
29 Photos
Created 20 November 2014
Spent the month of October in Belize
26 Photos
Created 9 November 2014
Back in Grenada
2 Photos
Created 4 July 2014
52 Photos
Created 12 May 2014
50 Photos
Created 4 March 2014
51 Photos
Created 13 February 2014
62 Photos
Created 31 December 2013
4 Photos
Created 15 December 2013
18 Photos
Created 7 December 2013
31 Photos
Created 16 November 2013
120 Photos
Created 11 June 2013
23 Photos
Created 7 June 2013
55 Photos
Created 1 June 2013
33 Photos
Created 27 May 2013
39 Photos
Created 16 May 2013
This album consists of US & British Virgin Islands
30 Photos
Created 28 April 2013
30 Photos
Created 7 March 2013
44 Photos
Created 19 February 2013
24 Photos
Created 9 February 2013
62 Photos
Created 20 December 2012
110 Photos
Created 19 October 2012
22 Photos
Created 1 October 2012
41 Photos
Created 5 September 2012
43 Photos
Created 29 July 2012
16 Photos
Created 26 July 2012
Travelling east
22 Photos
Created 3 July 2012
21 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
17 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
9 Photos
Created 25 December 2010
Out with the old 42hp VW engine & V drive and in with a new Volvo Penta 75hp Saildrive
12 Photos
Created 8 January 2010
Pictures of the improvements made during a three year retrofit.
24 Photos
Created 13 December 2009