Grace, Kevin, and Debbie Sailing Together

29 September 2017 | Chipman Point Marina, Lake Champlain, Vermont
24 March 2017 | Little Alligator River, North Carolina
24 January 2017 | Red Bay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Cistern Cay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Lynyard Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Buckaroon Bay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tavern Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tiloo Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Snake Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tavern Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Man-O-War Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Water Cay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Great Guana Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Manjack Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Green Turtle Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Manjack Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas

Our First Time on the Eastern Bay of the Chesapeake

22 April 2013 | Cape May, New Jersey
Debbie
Before we cast off the docklines shortly before slack tide at 1 PM on Friday, April 5th, while walking back from the auto parts store and breakfast in town, we got to say hello to Dave and Haila of s/v Traveller, who wintered in Southport. A smooth passage up the Cape Fear River (which we affectionately call the "Daisy Patch") brought us to a 5:15 PM anchorage at Wrightsville Beach as 1 of 6 boats there for the night. After anchoring Kevin found fuel leaking from the carburetor and had the carburetor off once that evening and twice before departing the next morning, replacing the float valve assembly twice and installing a new gasket.

At 10:20 AM on Saturday we were hauling in the anchor. Pushing against the current in the waterway, thankfully a very gracious bridge tender allowed us to transit a tardy 11 AM opening as the only boat. Continuing to not only push into an unfavorable current, but also a strong headwind, at the third opening bridge of the passage, we were behind 4 other boats approaching the bridge, and we were the only ones who missed the opening by 5 minutes; at the next opening 55 minutes later we were the only boat. At 7:15 PM we were anchored at Mile Hammock Bay on US Marine Camp Lejeune as one of 8 boats.

Sunday shortly after 9 AM we began the day's passage, which included 1 opening bridge, and concluded along with 1 other anchored boat at 6:30 PM in Cedar Creek, off Adams Creek above Morehead City.

We hauled anchor shortly after 9 AM on Monday, dropping it at 10:15 AM at Oriental where Kevin's sister Valerie came to visit us for lunch and a walk about town, taking us to the marine supply and grocery stores. Thank you, Valerie, for coming to see us! On our walk we scored treasure in the form of a large fender floating in the water. At 3 PM we hauled anchor again, motorsailing until dropping the hook at 6:15 PM in Bonner Bay along with 1 other boat.

Tuesday at 8:15 AM we were underway, motorsailing quite a bit, stopping for fuel, and at 6 PM anchoring with 1 other boat at the southern bend of the Alligator River.

At 7:30 AM on Wednesday we headed towards a wonderfully timed passage across the Albemarle Sound. We were able to motorsail for much of the passage; and thankfully the increased winds held off until after we were across the Sound. Transiting 2 opening bridges that day, we dropped the hook at 3:45 PM as one of 3 boats at Goat Island.

At 6:30 AM Thursday all 3 boats were underway in order to not get stuck for 3 hours during the late afternoon at Gillmerton Bridge. The plan worked, as we all made the 8:30 AM Great Dismal Swamp Canal locking and bridge opening at South Mills, North Carolina, and then the 1:30 PM bridge opening and locking at Deep Creek, Virginia, where the notoriously kind tender Robert was thoughtful enough to get us through early so we would easily make it in time for Gillmerton's opening at 2:30 PM. Shortly before 3:30 PM we were tied up at the free dock in Portsmouth, Virginia, where we spent the next few days basking in the balmy temperatures, partaking of the offerings at the nearby eateries in the historic waterfront area, including a movie dinner theater which is on the National Register of Historic Places, and getting to socialize with the other cruisers who were there. On Friday we got to visit with Carl & Laura on s/v Ekotopia, another Morgan sailboat, and whom we had first met at (and not seen since) a potluck dinner in Stuart, Florida in December of 2010; Carl & Laura, thank you for showing us your beautiful work onboard and your wonderful hospitality; we look forward to seeing you both on future voyages! During the passage through the Canal, after a few hours of motoring at a slower speed than usual in order to time our arrival at Deep Creek, the engine idle began to flutter; we throttled up and it ran smoother; we dropped the hook briefly in the canal before the opening time. While at the dock in Portsmouth Kevin remedied a rattle we had been hearing by tightening the reverse gear lock nut on the tail shaft, changed the engine oil (twice), added a shut-off valve at the original fuel tank, added an electric solenoid valve at the carburetor, removed the fuel line from the new fuel tank, installed a pump from the new fuel tank to the original fuel tank, and bled the air out of the fuel lines.

We cast off the docklines Saturday at 8:30 AM, and were able to motorsail once we entered the Chesapeake Bay. At 7 PM we were the only boat anchored in Cockerell Creek at Reedville, Virginia.

After pulling up to the fuel dock Sunday morning we were underway at 10:00, dropping the hook at 5:30 PM as the only boat anchored in Mill Creek at Solomons, Maryland.

After a few morning sprinkles we hauled anchor at 10:00, able to motorsail for several hours, heading into the Eastern Bay for our first time. Shortly after 5:30 PM we had the anchorage to ourselves on Tilghman Creek, near the mouth of the Miles River.

At high tide, 9:30 AM Tuesday we were underway and shortly after 10:30 AM we were anchored for our first time to visit the town of St Michaels. A waterfront lunch was followed by a visit to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum, the whole time overlooking Grace as the only anchored boat. After a quick stop at the nearby grocery store, we were underway at 5:30 PM, and about an hour later anchored as 1 of 2 boats in Shaw Bay on the Wye East River, another first, where the above shot was captured.

We hauled anchor shortly after 9 AM Wednesday, transiting 1 opening bridge in the Kent Island narrows, and timing our high tide arrival into Queenstown at 12:30 PM, for our first time, and tying up as the only boat at the free town dock.

After some morning sprinkles passed and at mid-tide, 11:45 AM, we were underway, motorsailing for several hours, and dropping the hook at 7 PM as the only boat at the top of the Chesapeake Bay in the Bohemia River.

At 11:45 AM on Friday we were underway for a little more than an hour, securing a spot at the free dock in Chesapeake City, Maryland, along with Luke & Pat on m/v Liberty Belle and Don & Jeannie on trawler Odyssey, whom we got to share happy hour with onboard Liberty Belle; thank you Luke, Pat, Don, & Jeannie; we hope to see you again!

Saturday at 3 PM we cast off the docklines, riding a favorable current in the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal, and stopping for marina services before dropping the hook at 6:15 PM as the only boat for a rolly night at Reedy Island.

At high tide yesterday, 8:45 AM, we were underway, motorsailing for a few hours, and riding a favorable current during most of the passage down the Delaware Bay. Shortly after 4:30 PM we were anchored near the Coast Guard Station at Cape May, New Jersey, as 1 of 3 boats.

During these passages we have seen several dolphin, many freshwater turtles, 3 bald eagles, as well as numerous other feathered friends, including mallard ducks, loons, and snow geese.
Comments
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 35
Hailing Port: Orwell, Vermont
Crew: Kevin & Debbie Stone
Extra:
Summer 2006 - we began exploring learning to sail, took private sailing lessons, and purchased our first boat ~ a Macgregor 25. We named the boat "SomedayCame"; we launched and sailed her for one day sail on Columbus Day Weekend of that year before tucking her in for the winter in our [...]
Grace's Photos - Main
38 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
20 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
28 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
25 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
38 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
30 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
11 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2013
6 Photos
Created 27 November 2013
93 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
124 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
118 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
120 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
33 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
Some of what we got to view on days 1 and 2 of snowbird voyage 5.
43 Photos
Created 2 October 2013
projects
10 Photos
Created 13 February 2010
misc pics
9 Photos
Created 29 December 2009
Start of our journey from Chipman Point
13 Photos
Created 17 December 2009