Grace, Kevin, and Debbie Sailing Together

29 September 2017 | Chipman Point Marina, Lake Champlain, Vermont
24 March 2017 | Little Alligator River, North Carolina
24 January 2017 | Red Bay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Cistern Cay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Lynyard Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Buckaroon Bay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tavern Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tiloo Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Snake Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tavern Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Man-O-War Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Water Cay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Great Guana Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Manjack Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Green Turtle Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Manjack Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas

Haulin'

27 November 2013 | Green Cove Springs, Florida
Debbie
On Wednesday morning, November 13th, we waited for both the sunshine to warm up the outside temp and the tide to rise before our transit through the notoriously shallow ICW miles 570 to 575. The day's three hour passage began at 12:15 PM, with only one boat passing us and hearing only a few on the VHF, even the dolphins appeared to be hunkered down that day. Another voltage spike led to replacing the alternator belt after our anchorage in the Herb River near Thunderbolt, Georgia.

Again allowing Thursday's morning sunshine to warm the day, we hauled anchor shortly before 11:00 AM, motor-sailing with the genoa for a good portion of the passage, which concluded when we dropped the hook at 4:30 PM in Walburg Creek.

Friday it was determined that there was a missing alternator wire, and communication with the manufacturer confirmed that is no issue. Following raising anchor at 10:00 AM we were able to put the genoa to use on and off, and after light rain began to fall we anchored at 2:30 PM for our first time in the Duplin River.

Thick fog lingered Saturday for a short time into the day's passage which began at 9:15 AM. We successfully transited another notoriously shallow area, Little Mud, before mid-tide, and were able to motor-sail with the genoa for quite a while during the passage which also took us through Jekyll Creek (also shallow) at low tide without incident for us (although following behind four others who are deeper draft than Grace and were in constant communication on the VHF as some met the bottom). The blower motor provided its last service before we dropped the hook shortly before 4:00 PM for our first time at the northwest tip of Little Cumberland Island, where we were reunited with Ken, Francie, and their dog Skipper on s/v Release.

While awaiting fog and sprinkles on Sunday morning the blower motor was replaced with an onboard spare before raising anchor at 11:15 AM and then dropping it at 2:45 PM at Cumberland Island (pictured above), where we got to enjoy a walk to the Dungeness ruins and see not only horses and deer, but also Ken, Francie, and Skipper.

Monday we went for a long walk and got to see horses on the beach. That evening s/v Release hosted a cocktail party for eight in their cockpit, including the crews of s/v Zama Dawn and s/v Circe II.

During the start of Tuesday's passage we got to see a Coast Guard convoy escorting a submarine into Kings Bay Naval Base. The day's passage from shortly after 9:00 AM until 10:30 AM, brought us to the town of St Marys, Georgia, where we partook of lunch with Ken and Francie at the nearby seafood restaurant followed by wandering around town, including our first time to the Visitor Center with its almost museum-like displays.

At 10:45 AM on Wednesday we were underway. After Kevin got pooped on by the biggest spray from abeam yet, the rain began once we passed Fernandina Beach, Florida, and then the skies opened up as we dropped the hook at 1:45 PM in Alligator Creek.

Thursday we hauled anchor at 10:00 AM and dropped it at 1:00 PM in the Trout River, near the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens, which we spent the day at Friday.

Shortly before 10:30 AM on Saturday we headed towards downtown Jacksonville, where we tied up at the free dock at The Landing at 11:45 AM and commenced to shore-side chores, Saturday night outdoor live entertainment, and dining through Sunday night.

We cast off and transited the limited opening at the railroad bridge near downtown at 9:30 AM on Monday, motor-sailing with the genoa until shortly before picking up a mooring ball at 1:30 PM at Green Cove Springs Marina for our first time, as well as a first time survey of Grace, which took place this morning and concluded with a lunch-time short haul-out with Grace in the slings of the travel-lift. Once Grace was splashed again, the strong WNW winds have kept us pinned to the pier outside the lift well. The winds are forecast to die down this evening, so perhaps we will be back on the mooring ball for the night.

During these passages we have gotten to see numerous brown and white pelicans, dolphins, ducks, and four bald eagles.

Another photo album, "New Jersey", has been added under the Photo Gallery link on the right.
Comments
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 35
Hailing Port: Orwell, Vermont
Crew: Kevin & Debbie Stone
Extra:
Summer 2006 - we began exploring learning to sail, took private sailing lessons, and purchased our first boat ~ a Macgregor 25. We named the boat "SomedayCame"; we launched and sailed her for one day sail on Columbus Day Weekend of that year before tucking her in for the winter in our [...]
Grace's Photos - Main
38 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
20 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
28 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
25 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
38 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
30 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
11 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2013
6 Photos
Created 27 November 2013
93 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
124 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
118 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
120 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
33 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
Some of what we got to view on days 1 and 2 of snowbird voyage 5.
43 Photos
Created 2 October 2013
projects
10 Photos
Created 13 February 2010
misc pics
9 Photos
Created 29 December 2009
Start of our journey from Chipman Point
13 Photos
Created 17 December 2009