Grace, Kevin, and Debbie Sailing Together

29 September 2017 | Chipman Point Marina, Lake Champlain, Vermont
24 March 2017 | Little Alligator River, North Carolina
24 January 2017 | Red Bay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Cistern Cay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Lynyard Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Buckaroon Bay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tavern Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tiloo Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Snake Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tavern Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Man-O-War Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Water Cay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Great Guana Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Manjack Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Green Turtle Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Manjack Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas

Staged and Ready

08 October 2014 | Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey
Debbie
At 6:30 AM on Thursday we cast off the docklines in Fort Edward. Amid the workboats in the Champlain Canal, Grace was the only southbound pleasure vessel in Locks 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, and the Troy Federal Lock. Shorts and sunburns ensued as we passed downtown Albany, and later pulling up to the dock at Castleton Boat Club at 4:30 PM. Thanks to our friends and fellow cruisers, Rob and Sue, for being the advance party at the club to assess the situation and assist us with stepping Grace's mast in such timely fashion! An hour later they tossed us our lines and we headed downriver. About 7PM, as the final visible light of the day was fading, we were anchored behind Houghtaling Island.

Friday at 7:30 AM we hauled anchor, and while underway Kevin tuned the rig, and put the boom, mainsail, and genoa all back in place. We kept the mainsail raised for the next few hours, giving us a slight boost over the speed of just the engine alone. At 2:00 PM we anchored in Astor Cove and got the whisker pole mounted on the mast.

During a break in the Saturday morning rain showers and after the current turned in our favor, we donned light foul weather gear and got underway at 12:15 PM, utilizing the bimini over the cockpit for coverage from light showers, which turned to light rain, and then gave way to baby blue sky peaking through grey-streaked clouds before we dropped anchor at 4:15 PM near the Beacon Sloop Club.

Allowing the air temperature to rise and the current to be in our favor, at 11:45 AM on Sunday we hauled anchor, folding the bimini back to allow the sunshine to warm us. Passing the sights of Bannermans Castle ruins, West Point Military Academy, and Bear Mountain Bridge all surrounded by glowing fall colors, once we entered Haverstraw Bay we shut off the engine for about a half hour, and joined the dozen already sailing vessels in the bay, using our genoa only until the final approach into the anchorage shortly after 3:30 PM on the north side of Croton Point. This being the first shared stop of this snowbird voyage, Grace was one of five sailboats anchored there for the night.

Monday at 11:15 AM we began making slow, but steady headway toward the Tappan Zee and George Washington Bridges, in strong south wind against favorable current, burying Grace's bow with water running down her foredecks multiple times. Flatter conditions were present as we passed Manhattan, which provided some shelter from the southerly winds. It was too bumpy to get a non-blurry photo, but there was a gorgeous sunset sky as a backdrop to the Statue of Liberty as we passed her all lit up for the evening. We saw the city lights illuminate as we left them astern and headed towards Sandy Hook into a slow-going, choppy finish to the day's passage at midnight when the anchor was set.

Yesterday and today, in shorts and t-shirts, we tightened the rudder packing nut, cleaned the carburetor spark arrester, picked up some groceries, and finished preparing for the offshore run - topped off fuel with jerry jugs by dinghy, and put jacklines on deck. The next two days forecast is looking favorable for the dozen-plus vessels that are staged here for the passage south.

This morning our friend John came by to say hello in his clam boat, the Bonnie Parker, pictured above. Shortly thereafter, he assisted a sinking boat by pulling two woman and two young children out of the water.

During these passages we have gotten to see numerous geese and ducks, six bald eagles, two loons, and one falcon (what think we saw four of on the first day of this snowbird voyage).
Comments
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 35
Hailing Port: Orwell, Vermont
Crew: Kevin & Debbie Stone
Extra:
Summer 2006 - we began exploring learning to sail, took private sailing lessons, and purchased our first boat ~ a Macgregor 25. We named the boat "SomedayCame"; we launched and sailed her for one day sail on Columbus Day Weekend of that year before tucking her in for the winter in our [...]
Grace's Photos - Main
38 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
20 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
28 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
25 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
38 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
30 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
11 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2013
6 Photos
Created 27 November 2013
93 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
124 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
118 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
120 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
33 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
Some of what we got to view on days 1 and 2 of snowbird voyage 5.
43 Photos
Created 2 October 2013
projects
10 Photos
Created 13 February 2010
misc pics
9 Photos
Created 29 December 2009
Start of our journey from Chipman Point
13 Photos
Created 17 December 2009