Grace, Kevin, and Debbie Sailing Together

29 September 2017 | Chipman Point Marina, Lake Champlain, Vermont
24 March 2017 | Little Alligator River, North Carolina
24 January 2017 | Red Bay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Cistern Cay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Lynyard Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Buckaroon Bay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tavern Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tiloo Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Snake Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tahiti Beach, Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Tavern Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Hope Town, Elbow Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Man-O-War Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Water Cay, Great Abaco Island, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Great Guana Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Manjack Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Green Turtle Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas
24 January 2017 | Manjack Cay, Abaco Island Chain, Bahamas

Welcome Back AIS

08 November 2014 | Southport, North Carolina
Debbie
Waiting for the weather to pass (rain, strong winds, cold temperatures), our time in Oriental was both fun and productive, complete with dancing at the Halloween Party, walks, laundry, picking up some items at the marine supply store, shopping at the farmers market right outside our door, getting two jerry jugs of fuel, and borrowing the complimentary loaner bikes with baskets on the front to go to the grocery store. On the first day we arrived, a familiar face came walking along the dock; it only took us a moment to figure out the connection; it was Annie of s/v Makani Olu; we had interacted with she and her husband Tom in several locations during last year's snowbird voyage; they keep their boat nearby, and were planning to start their snowbird voyage after the weather was more favorable; thanks, Annie, for the ride to the hardware and auto parts stores; look forward to seeing you both as we voyage! On Monday after the morning temperature had a chance to rise, we cast off the docklines at 10:00 AM. After the 1:30 PM opening at the Beaufort Bridge, we anchored for our first time at 2:00 PM near the Fort Macon Coast Guard Station. About an hour later s/v Makani Olu was anchored next to Grace.

At 2:45 AM on Tuesday the anchor was up, and we headed out the Beaufort Inlet for our first time. Despite what was forecast, after turning onto our course, both the wind and waves were against us, causing us to make extremely slow progress, and with the chart-plotter showing an arrival time well after nightfall into Wrightsville Beach, the crews of both Grace and Makani Olu were back at anchor for some more rest by 4:00 AM, at which time the offshore forecast was updated to show what we had just experienced. Later that morning we motored for about an hour and a half, pulling in to anchor for our first time in Peletier Creek. Kevin rebuilt the engine coolant pump.

Wednesday's 8:00 AM departure was timed for high tide to allow more water below Grace's keel as we got back out of the creek. That brought us to the border of Camp Lejeune, just at Noon, which was the published time for transit on the ICW to be off restriction; this was our first time ever to experience a restriction due to military operations on that portion of the waterway. As we approached, it looked like an ICW pile-up, with boats anchored, some rafted together, and others of us approaching the scene (pictured above) slowly. There were over forty vessels that travelled southbound when the restriction lights were turned off. Now it was low tide at the "navigational alertness required" spot at Browns Inlet, where the lack of "alertness" became immediately evident as many went aground, causing even more congestion for the rest of us to try to get around. We patiently waited for the narrow passageway between the floating red and green buoys to clear before proceeding, and were one of the thirty-four who passed by the Onslow Beach Swing Bridge's 2:00 PM opening. Despite what Kevin was told when he previously telephoned the number provided, the anchorage at Mile Hammock Bay on Camp Lejeune was available; thanks to Annie of s/v Makani Olu for letting us know that they were not "kicked out" the previous night! At 2:45 PM we were anchored in Mile Hammock Bay, watching the entertainment of all the military personnel around there.

Getting underway before 7:30 AM on Thursday allowed us to make the 10:00 AM opening at the Surf City Bridge, the 1:00 PM opening at the Figure Eight Island Bridge, and the 2:00 PM opening at the Wrightsville Beach Bridge, dropping the anchor shortly before 3:00 PM. The next morning we dinghied to the western shore and walked to West Marine and the grocery store, bringing back not only a heavy rolling cart of groceries, but a new VHF radio. After roughly a year of intermittent AIS signals being received, we are relieved to have the new radio with AIS receiver showing AIS information from other vessels on our chart-plotter once again. Following the installation and successful test of the new equipment, for our first time ever we dinghied to the eastern shore and walked along Wrightsville Beach, where several surfers were attempting to catch a wave. After our return to Grace, we got to watch the local sailing club's evening race adjacent to Grace's cockpit.

Today's anchor weighing at 10:15 AM was timed to catch the ebbing tide on the Cape Fear River (aka "Daisy Patch" onboard Grace). The passage was concluded about 2:00 PM when we anchored in Pipeline Canal.

During these passages we have gotten to see dolphins, pelicans, and jellyfish.
Comments
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Make/Model: Morgan 35
Hailing Port: Orwell, Vermont
Crew: Kevin & Debbie Stone
Extra:
Summer 2006 - we began exploring learning to sail, took private sailing lessons, and purchased our first boat ~ a Macgregor 25. We named the boat "SomedayCame"; we launched and sailed her for one day sail on Columbus Day Weekend of that year before tucking her in for the winter in our [...]
Grace's Photos - Main
38 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
15 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
20 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
28 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
25 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
38 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
30 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
11 Photos
Created 13 December 2013
25 Photos
Created 28 November 2013
6 Photos
Created 27 November 2013
93 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
124 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
118 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
120 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
33 Photos
Created 14 October 2013
Some of what we got to view on days 1 and 2 of snowbird voyage 5.
43 Photos
Created 2 October 2013
projects
10 Photos
Created 13 February 2010
misc pics
9 Photos
Created 29 December 2009
Start of our journey from Chipman Point
13 Photos
Created 17 December 2009