Kena

22 November 2009 | Tutukaka
11 November 2009
10 November 2009
07 November 2009
07 November 2009
03 November 2009
01 October 2009
29 September 2009
05 September 2009 | Nuku'alofa
27 August 2009
27 August 2009
23 August 2009
16 August 2009
12 August 2009
09 August 2009
08 August 2009
08 August 2009

Tikal

22 February 2008
Roger
We'd booked a room at the Tikal Inn, which is in the park itself. This meant we could take the sunset and sunrise tours along with the usual daytime ones. We arrived at around 5am and were the first at breakfast.

Tikal is in the Mayan biosphere reserve, a huge area of subtropical jungle, 70% of which is in Guatemala, and the remainder is in Mexico and Belize. The city was discovered in 1848, and it is the prototypical lost city in the jungle. I think many of the legends of lost cities, Indiana Jones tales and the like originated with Tikal. It was the center of Mayan culture, first occupied in 600BC and finally abandoned around 900AD. Only 15% of the site has been excavated and restored---it covers a large area. The University of Pennsylvania took on the project in 1950 and did most of the restoration, handing the site over to the Guatemalan government sometime in the 1970's.

Our first tour (they are all on foot) took us through the jungle into the main part of the site. As we approached the first plaza and structures, we heard a deep roaring sound, growing as we walked on. Louder and louder, until it was almost overwhelming. It turned out to be a band of howler monkeys. Only the alpha male of the group makes the sound, a roaring and panting grunting that is just like a male lion. We learned that howler monkeys are the second loudest animal on earth, second only to the whales. They feed on breadnuts, and since the breadnut trees account for 70% of the forest in this area, there is plenty of food and so plenty of howlers.

There are five temples at Tikal. These are tall structures with much steeper sides than the pyramids ---that's temple I in the picture with the moon. There are also pyramids, with the largest being in a region of the city called the lost world. It turns out that there is a pyramid called Mirador further north in Guatemala that is the largest in the world, considerably larger than the pyramids in Giza, Egypt. It was discovered after the formation of the Mayan biosphere reserve, which is apparently why it has not yet been excavated.

On the sunset tour, we made our way first through the main plaza, where we were treated to the amazing sound of the oropendulas, large birds with yellow underneath that make huge hanging nests and have a complex song. As we made our way through to the lost world, we saw coatis and agoutis, and in the lost world itself, as dusk fell, we saw a number of toucans. First, a group of keel-billed toucans and then a group of collared toucans. There were also plenty of parrots. We watched the sun set from temple IV, which, at 70 meters, is the tallest structure at Tikal.

The sunrise tour was a mad rush through the dark, followed by an incredibly steep climb up temple V. Nothing like this would be allowed in the US! The group of 22 sat in silence at the top of the temple, waiting for dawn. It was too cloudy for a sunrise, but that didn't matter--the real show was put on by the animals. There are many bands of howler monkeys. This meant we could hear the lead male of each group roaring his dominion---the continuous roaring from all directions, the vigorous rustling of the spider monkeys through the trees just below us, and the calls of oropendulas, toucans and parrots made for an amazing and quite alien experience.

We took the afternoon bus back to Flores on the second day. Flores is an attractive little town on an island in lake Peten Itza. The architecture is quite different from Antigua, with lots of pastel colors. The town is the main base for expeditions to Tikal and into the Mayan biosphere reserve, so you see backpackers, tourists, and internet cafes in abundance.

Another overnight bus to Guatemala city, our luxury bus to San Salvador, and the minibus brought us back to Barillas. We've done some provisioning, got our zarpes (exit documents), fueled up, and we plan to leave in the outgoing tide at 7am tomorrow. The plan is to stop at isla Meanguera in the Gulf of Fonseca, and then to go on to Puesta del Sol in Nicaragua.

There's a new album of photos in the gallery. These cover from leaving Oaxaca to the present.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kena
Vessel Make/Model: Ganley Pacemaker 40
Hailing Port: Tutukaka, New Zealand
Crew: Roger, Sally, Tane, Hunters all
About: The Hunter family: Roger, originally from Tutukaka, New Zealand Sally, from Tasmania, Australia and Tane is from New Mexico.
Extra: This leg of the trip is from Puerto Lucia, Ecuador to New Zealand.
Kena's Photos - Main
Playing in the world's smallest independent nation.
47 Photos
Created 15 September 2009
A few picks of Roratonga, where we picked up Tomas, and of the incredible Beveridge Reef
20 Photos
Created 1 September 2009
Our adventure in the islands of Tahaa and Raiatea in The Society Islands
18 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Mystical Bora Bora in French Polynesia
31 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
The Sailing Rendezvous in Tahiti and Moorea, plus a little of Huahine
35 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Our journey through the coral atolls of the Tuamotus in French Polynesia
65 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
Tahuata, Ua Huka and Nuku Hiva
48 Photos
Created 12 May 2009
25 days of open seas and our first few days on Hiva Oa
51 Photos
Created 28 April 2009
Our journeys to Puerto Lucia, Cuenca, Guayaquil and about
55 Photos
Created 25 March 2009
Our journey through the Galapagos Islands.
50 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
Ridiculous
37 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2008
49 Photos
Created 6 March 2008
46 Photos
Created 22 February 2008
58 Photos
Created 26 January 2008
Mazatlan South
58 Photos
Created 9 January 2008