Kena

22 November 2009 | Tutukaka
11 November 2009
10 November 2009
07 November 2009
07 November 2009
03 November 2009
01 October 2009
29 September 2009
05 September 2009 | Nuku'alofa
27 August 2009
27 August 2009
23 August 2009
16 August 2009
12 August 2009
09 August 2009
08 August 2009
08 August 2009

Day 3

31 March 2009
Roger & Sal
Passage log: 323 nautical miles

Bob McDavitt (NZ met service) advised us to avoid a strong north-going current at 85 west, so we tacked to the east for about 25 miles yesterday evening, then came back on course. Our current waypoint is 9S 90W --- this is the start of the real trade wind part of the passage. It's currently 428 nautical miles (about 3 days sailing) from our current position. There is an extension of the ITCZ (with squalls, rain, and calms --- the doldrums) that angles from north to south just to the west of the Galapagos. The squalls are between 3S and 4S and between 85 30W and 90W. Our current path should take us to the south of them.

(Sal- the NZ service - which we found advertised in a weather book we purchased recently - has been fantastic ... you pay some and they give you all sorts of weather, current and routing info so you can work out the optimium way to go through this l-o-n-g passage (one of the longest between anywhere and anywhere)... we never had to pay much attention to currents until we came to the Panama and Humbolt current (strong current going N from Antartica coming up the Sth Am coast. Parts of the current are up to 10 knots against you.... we've been able to avoid all that. Rog has the computer all set up to monitor set and drift (direction and speed). Right now we seem to have about a knot with us... that's a lot over 30 days... about 24 nautical miles per day. - just a comment for the novice... back to Rog... oh another thing for foodies - we are on our last day of salad... next coleslaw for a few more days and then onto "Just Tomatoes" and Suprise (NZ) dried veggies - fruit and veggies don't last worth a dam out here!)

We have seen no other boats (fishing or ships) for nearly two days now. We are currently just at the outer edge of the Peruvian 200 mile limit, just south of the Ecuador/Peru ocean area line. We'll be clear in a few hours.

It was another beautiful evening and sunset. Our "ghosts" gathered in a flock on the downwind side of the boat and then started trying to catch the lures. Tane and I tried to capture a photo of the gulls with the setting sun as a background---I think we got at least one good one. The gulls make a strange chirping squeaky sound. The flock seemed bigger last night, and the always surprise with their ghostly flashes of white in the darkness.

The wind died down to 5 knots as night fell, so we started motor sailing. By early morning, we had 10-12 knots and were doing 6-7 knots sailing.

This morning there was a flying fish and two small squid on the deck. How do squid end up on deck? Are they attracted to the navigation lights and then splash up onto the deck? Or to the birds catch them, then miscalculate and drop them when they have to avoid the sails or rigging wires?

A school of skipjacks has been around us for several hours now. They're chasing flying fish and something smaller. They leap right out of the water and tumble in the air in their efforts to chase prey. Regularly, a large school of flying fish takes flight just ahead of us. It seems the skipjacks are taking advantage of the boat --- the flying fish and smaller fish are surprised by the boat and flee right into the mouths of the circling skipjacks. Now we just need a few sailfish and marlin circling for the skipjacks. So... there are two groups taking advantage of our passage. Sal - Skipjack meat is very dark red... we don't to eat it - other do. R & T have the lures out for the big fish that may feed on them... so far no bites. I don't participate in any of the fishing... just the eating.

The sailing conditions are the best we've ever seen. The swells are small and there is very little chop. Our course takes as parallel to the chop, so there's very little resistance. Although Tane saw a little rain on the radar in the dark early morning, none of it has fallen on us. The popcorn trade wind clouds are back again.

This seems to be the year of microphone problems. First, we had to replace our main VHF radio because of bad microphone. Now the microphone on our SSB (Single Side Band---the "big" short wave radio) is giving problems. We can't check into the nets, although the radio itself is working fine as we can hear everything and can transmit and receive emails (the email transmission is computer controlled, bypassing the microphone transmit switch). Oh well! So we can't chat to other sailboats on the way, but we can email our positions to the Pacific Net so that the sailing community knows where we are each day. The closest other sailboat seems to be about 200 miles. We will be asking Bruce McLelland, a NZ boat guest if he can bring one to the Marquesas when he joins us in a month.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kena
Vessel Make/Model: Ganley Pacemaker 40
Hailing Port: Tutukaka, New Zealand
Crew: Roger, Sally, Tane, Hunters all
About: The Hunter family: Roger, originally from Tutukaka, New Zealand Sally, from Tasmania, Australia and Tane is from New Mexico.
Extra: This leg of the trip is from Puerto Lucia, Ecuador to New Zealand.
Kena's Photos - Main
Playing in the world's smallest independent nation.
47 Photos
Created 15 September 2009
A few picks of Roratonga, where we picked up Tomas, and of the incredible Beveridge Reef
20 Photos
Created 1 September 2009
Our adventure in the islands of Tahaa and Raiatea in The Society Islands
18 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Mystical Bora Bora in French Polynesia
31 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
The Sailing Rendezvous in Tahiti and Moorea, plus a little of Huahine
35 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Our journey through the coral atolls of the Tuamotus in French Polynesia
65 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
Tahuata, Ua Huka and Nuku Hiva
48 Photos
Created 12 May 2009
25 days of open seas and our first few days on Hiva Oa
51 Photos
Created 28 April 2009
Our journeys to Puerto Lucia, Cuenca, Guayaquil and about
55 Photos
Created 25 March 2009
Our journey through the Galapagos Islands.
50 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
Ridiculous
37 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2008
49 Photos
Created 6 March 2008
46 Photos
Created 22 February 2008
58 Photos
Created 26 January 2008
Mazatlan South
58 Photos
Created 9 January 2008