Kena

22 November 2009 | Tutukaka
11 November 2009
10 November 2009
07 November 2009
07 November 2009
03 November 2009
01 October 2009
29 September 2009
05 September 2009 | Nuku'alofa
27 August 2009
27 August 2009
23 August 2009
16 August 2009
12 August 2009
09 August 2009
08 August 2009
08 August 2009

Second Dawn

30 March 2009
Roger
Trip log: 205 nautical miles.

Yesterday we came to the conclusion that there were no more big ships about, and especially no more of the smaller fishing skiffs. The horizon was clear, and we were in the clear. Half an hour later, what looked like a huge panga with a large flat canvas canopy over the bulk of the boat from the bow, and with a cabin at the stern, passed very close to us towing eight pangas! So much for there being no pangas out here. Obviously the "mother ship" tows them far out to sea (we were 70 miles out) so we're very likely to encounter a cluster of them.

In mid-afternoon, what looked like a destroyer loomed on the horizon. It resolved itself into the biggest purse seiner we've ever seen. So much for there being no more large or small boats to worry about.

It was flat calm and windless until about 3pm, when we turned off the motor and began sailing at a little over 2 knots, directly west. We're using Bob McDavitt of the NZ met service to help us with our routing, and he had just suggested that we make directly for 9S 90W (where we should pick up the southeast trades), southwest from where we were. When we tried this course while motoring in the calm, we slowed from 5 knots to 3.5 knots, so there was about 1.5 knots of current against us. Since we don't have enough fuel to motor all the way against the current, we decided just to sail. Since we started sailing, we've gradually turned south as the wind has backed to the southeast, and at 4am this morning, the wind rose to 12-15 knots and we've been running at 5 to 6.5 knots since then. The skies started clear in the morning, but now there are the popcorn clouds of the trade winds. Could we be in the trades? None of our weather information says so --- we're only supposed to have winds of at most 5 knots.

Another beautiful sunset ushered in a dark night, with just a sliver of moon. The skies were clear and the stars as bright as we've ever seen them. The southern cross stood out brightly, and the milky way toward the galactic center was very clear.

We have our night ghosts again. The only gulls that hunt at night are pure white. They circle the boat in the darkness, and appear like ghosts when the dull glow of the navigation lights hits them. The phosphorescence in the breaking wake, the stars, the ghosts, and the sea noises combine to make a magical scene.

Tane has cooked a fantastic spiced egg breakfast. Sal is starting her first Rosetta Stone French lesson. Tane is now setting out the fishing gear for the first time. We roll on at 5 knots.

We love to read your comments on the web site, so please keep making them. However, while we're on passage (our current predicted arrival in the Marquesas is April 26th, so we'll be on passage for about a month) we can't read the comments, so would you please also email them to roger.hunter3@gmail.com - thanks.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kena
Vessel Make/Model: Ganley Pacemaker 40
Hailing Port: Tutukaka, New Zealand
Crew: Roger, Sally, Tane, Hunters all
About: The Hunter family: Roger, originally from Tutukaka, New Zealand Sally, from Tasmania, Australia and Tane is from New Mexico.
Extra: This leg of the trip is from Puerto Lucia, Ecuador to New Zealand.
Kena's Photos - Main
Playing in the world's smallest independent nation.
47 Photos
Created 15 September 2009
A few picks of Roratonga, where we picked up Tomas, and of the incredible Beveridge Reef
20 Photos
Created 1 September 2009
Our adventure in the islands of Tahaa and Raiatea in The Society Islands
18 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Mystical Bora Bora in French Polynesia
31 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
The Sailing Rendezvous in Tahiti and Moorea, plus a little of Huahine
35 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Our journey through the coral atolls of the Tuamotus in French Polynesia
65 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
Tahuata, Ua Huka and Nuku Hiva
48 Photos
Created 12 May 2009
25 days of open seas and our first few days on Hiva Oa
51 Photos
Created 28 April 2009
Our journeys to Puerto Lucia, Cuenca, Guayaquil and about
55 Photos
Created 25 March 2009
Our journey through the Galapagos Islands.
50 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
Ridiculous
37 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2008
49 Photos
Created 6 March 2008
46 Photos
Created 22 February 2008
58 Photos
Created 26 January 2008
Mazatlan South
58 Photos
Created 9 January 2008