Kena

22 November 2009 | Tutukaka
11 November 2009
10 November 2009
07 November 2009
07 November 2009
03 November 2009
01 October 2009
29 September 2009
05 September 2009 | Nuku'alofa
27 August 2009
27 August 2009
23 August 2009
16 August 2009
12 August 2009
09 August 2009
08 August 2009
08 August 2009

Day 4 - A Purple Passage Passage?

01 April 2009
Tane and Roger
Trip log: 450 nautical miles (About 3,100 to go).

Having a poke at pleasurable prose with passionate purple passages (Tane):

As I awoke on the third morning I ascended the creaky companionway steps to be greeted by oppressive heat that seemingly radiated from every surface. Squinting out at the flat calm of the world's region of tropical convergence I understood the desolation and despair of the doldrums that the Ancient Mariner so aptly described. Scorching sun, unbearable heat, no relief of breeze, and glassy calm sea stretching endlessly in all directions into the horizon. "Water, water everywhere nor a drop to drink." Oh shit, I forgot! We have a water maker...how the times have changed!

Every evening has been a picture-perfect, postcard sunset, ending each day with a still serenity and exquisite brilliance. As the sun curves and falls imperceptibly, sinking low toward the horizon of blue on blue, it fades from radiant glowing white to dull crimson, igniting the waves into dancing triangles of red and orange and yellow. And, at the decline of the day the serenity becomes less brilliant but more profound as the stars slowly unveil themselves and deliver tranquility and humble awe towards the true vastness of the universe. The stars at sea, unspoiled by any light of civilization, seem to flicker and sparkle like I have never before seen. When first I laid eyes on the planet of Mercury I thought I had sighted a plane, and even for a minute entertained the idea of a UFO, as it was emitting such an intense and vivid strobing green and red light. Above the dazzling celestial body the luminous arch of the Milky Way stretches from horizon to horizon, vibrant and clear, almost drowning out the well known and comforting constellations of Orion, the Dippers and the Southern Cross.

---- Tane

Tane has promised to try his hand at more PP's as we pound passionately onward on our pacific passage.

The wind died overnight and we began motorsailing. It was at 2:30am when Sal was taking over the watch that I said nothing had appeared on the radar and demonstrated by turning it on. But wait --- there's a persistent speck about 6 miles out. Small, but really there. We went out on deck and sure enough, there was a white light faintly visible. So we have seen another boat, but never came close. Is this ships passing in the night, or do you have to be completely unaware for it to have the full force of meaning? There was nary a flash or peep from the AIS unit, and we came no closer.

This morning we're sailing in 2-9 knots of breeze from the south. The skies are clear and the sea is that glowing pale blue so loved by big game fishermen. There's a significant swell, up to 10 feet, coming from the south but very little chop, so we're moving smoothly through the water, rising and falling slowly as the big blue mountains pass under us.

We're starting to settle in to the watch routine. We're using a watch system of 2 hours on, four hours off -- it's really wonderful to have three people rather than just two (or even one-- we always ask the single handers how they organize their nights).

French lessons have started in earnest. In retrospect, we should have installed the software on two computers. We can't do it now as it has to be activated over the internet.

We're a little over two days from 9S 90W (that's latitude 9 degrees south and longitude 90 degrees west, quite possibly the original middle of nowhere) where we expect to pick up the trade winds. On the net this morning, a boat at 8S 100W reported 20 knot trade winds, was sailing at 9 knots, and had covered 230 nautical miles in the last 24 hours. Our first three days have been 105, 115, and 130. Today, with the wind taking a holiday, we won't be close to the best. We're salivating at the thought of 200 mile days. Of course, the ride will be more interesting --- right now, everything is very stable and smooth.

So far, apart from one of our ghost gulls that I found flying like a kite from one of the lines, nothing has tried our lures. The Humboldt current is supposed to contain something near 20% of all the world's sea life, but little of it is around us.

We had our last salad yesterday. Meals will involve less and less fresh food until we're down to none at all. Hard tack, anyone?

--- Roger
Comments
Vessel Name: Kena
Vessel Make/Model: Ganley Pacemaker 40
Hailing Port: Tutukaka, New Zealand
Crew: Roger, Sally, Tane, Hunters all
About: The Hunter family: Roger, originally from Tutukaka, New Zealand Sally, from Tasmania, Australia and Tane is from New Mexico.
Extra: This leg of the trip is from Puerto Lucia, Ecuador to New Zealand.
Kena's Photos - Main
Playing in the world's smallest independent nation.
47 Photos
Created 15 September 2009
A few picks of Roratonga, where we picked up Tomas, and of the incredible Beveridge Reef
20 Photos
Created 1 September 2009
Our adventure in the islands of Tahaa and Raiatea in The Society Islands
18 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Mystical Bora Bora in French Polynesia
31 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
The Sailing Rendezvous in Tahiti and Moorea, plus a little of Huahine
35 Photos
Created 5 August 2009
Our journey through the coral atolls of the Tuamotus in French Polynesia
65 Photos
Created 19 June 2009
Tahuata, Ua Huka and Nuku Hiva
48 Photos
Created 12 May 2009
25 days of open seas and our first few days on Hiva Oa
51 Photos
Created 28 April 2009
Our journeys to Puerto Lucia, Cuenca, Guayaquil and about
55 Photos
Created 25 March 2009
Our journey through the Galapagos Islands.
50 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
Ridiculous
37 Photos
Created 17 April 2008
14 Photos
Created 18 March 2008
49 Photos
Created 6 March 2008
46 Photos
Created 22 February 2008
58 Photos
Created 26 January 2008
Mazatlan South
58 Photos
Created 9 January 2008