John & Bernie Go Cruising

The Crew

Who: John & Bernie Warren
08 February 2014 | Aghios Nikalaos
14 September 2013 | Sitia, Crete
17 February 2011 | Thornbury, Gloucestershire
19 September 2010
18 June 2010 | Thira (Santorini)
26 May 2010 | Milos, Cyclades
15 May 2010
15 May 2010
08 March 2010
02 November 2009
02 November 2009 | Preveza
30 September 2009 | Nidri, Levkas
24 September 2009 | Fiskardo - Cephalonia

Strong winds for the last 2 weeks

02 November 2009 | Preveza
The last 2 weeks of this year have been characterised by strong winds with gales on successive weekends. After leaving Nidri with our new backstays we have spent our time around the northern islands of the Ionian inland sea.

For the last week we were anchored in Vlikho near Nidri when severe weather came through. We spent all night on watch and our anchor dragged with a 45kn gust at about 5am. We quickly took up the anchor and after carefully getting into position again we re-anchored with an extra 15 metres of chain out. 10 minutes later we were sitting in the cockpit with the world around us full of water flying horizontally off the surface of the bay. We held our breaths and waited - finally the gust died and our anchor had held. On looking around several boats were moving about trying to re-anchor and our instruments showed a maximum wind speed of 57kn. Talking to friends next day we heard that others had registered up to 60kn.

The following day we stayed on board as the winds slowly subsided and then had a quiet day giving us the chance to dry the sails, remove and pack them away. Another gale warning didn't happen and we eventually moved to Preveza for final preparations to be hauled out. On the last night we again had strong winds reaching force 7 and only got about 4 hours sleep. Finally we had Kerenne hauled out and spent a day ashore getting her ready for the winter.

We have now returned home to the UK after travelling by ferry to Brindisi to visit John's family. This visit didn't all go to plan either with our flight home being cancelled due to industrial action and we finally flew home 2 days later than planned. We are now relaxing with our family and starting to look forward to plans for the garden at home and what we might do next year on board Kerenne.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kerenne
Vessel Make/Model: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 37
Crew: John & Bernie Warren
About:
We bought our Sun Odyssey 37 in December 2003 and retired in 2005 to go cruising. Setting off at the beginning of May 2005 we sailed from Plymouth to the Mediterranean via the coasts of France, Spain and Portugal. [...]
Extra: Apart from sailing our life revolves around our family (5 children between us, 5 Grandchildren so far......) and playing golf. We enjoy socializing with our sailing friends aboard "Kerenne" when we are away and friends and family when at home.

The Crew

Who: John & Bernie Warren