Sailing Gromit

26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
16 January 2016
29 November 2015
18 August 2015 | Home
18 August 2015 | Home
18 August 2015 | Home
18 August 2015 | Our house
18 August 2015 | At Home

Tour of Huahine

03 December 2010 | Huahine Island, French Polynesia
Tour of Huahine Nui (Great Huahine) and Huahine Iti (Little Huahine)

The last day of the kids' week off in November, Michael and I decided to splurge! We rented a car and did a tour of the two islands that make up Huahine. What brought us to this decision was the fact that we've been here about 3 months now and haven't seen much more than the town of Fare. It was time to see more! On the map, the village of Fare is located on the west (left side) north (top section) of the island.

We packed water, snacks, bathing suits and our cameras and headed down the road towards a town called Maeva, at the northern end of Huahine Nui. Huahine is actually two islands: Huahine-Nui and Huahine-Iti. They are connected by a bridge spanning about 500 feet. This bridge is between Bourayne Bay on the west and Maroe Bay on the east.

Within only a few kilometres of Fare, I told Michael to pull over;" right here!" I said," right here!" He did so with a confused look on his face, after all, we'd only just left!

At this point, I'd like to ask for your indulgence, as I know that not all of you are 'Asterix' fans like we are. I couldn't help myself when I saw the 'mehir' (boulder) at the side of the road. It looked exactly like the one 'Obelix' carries on his back. In fact, I could have sworn that I saw 'Oblelix' holding the one at the side of the road as we slowed down to pull over! I took a picture of each of the kids honouring 'Obelix', (see first four pictures in the Photo Gallery Album entitled: Tour of Huahine).

Our next stop was an archaeological site in the town of Maeva. Maeva is unique in French Polynesia because all the district chiefs of the island lived side by side and worshiped their ancestors at their respective marae. Marae are platforms and courtyards constructed of coral that often had low surrounding walls and internal arrangements of upright wooden slabs. They were used for religious ceremonies in which they would seat their gods and present fruits and other foods to them at ritual feasts.

A little further on is a lake called Lake Fauna Nui situated beside the village of Maeva. The lake is actually an almost completely enclosed lagoon fed by water from the ocean. Near the village's east end we saw ancient stone fish traps which supported the ancient chiefs and priests. The traps have been recently repaired and are again being used. As the tides come in and go out, the fish enter the stone traps and are unable to find their way out again.
A few miles down the road in the town of Faie, we saw the famous blue-eyed eels we'd heard about. There is a small river that runs through the town and it is populated by these sacred creatures. Legend has it that it was the eels that brought fresh water to the village. Not wanting to be a skeptic, but I think it was the rain water spilling down the mountains in rainy season finding lower ground that brought water to the village, but I guess that doesn't make for a good legend.

The eels are huge, mostly because people feed them canned mackerel bought from the little store right beside the river where they swim. I joked one day while speaking to a Polynesian woman about how huge they were and that they'd probably be a tasty morsel and she told me that they are protected. Then she proceeded to tell me that the reason they are protected is, and I quote, "because the Polynesians would eat anything." Oh!
The scenery was stunning as we continued our drive around the top of Huahine Nui. Around every bend was a new vista filled with water that ranged from baby blue, through turquoise to deep royal blue to vistas of black rocks enrobed in lush greenery, much of which were palm trees, never letting us forget we are the tropics.

All along the roads we saw fruit trees. Some were growing on people's property and others just grew wild. We picked some papaya at the side of the road, but didn't help ourselves to mangoes we saw at the side of the road, because the tree was growing beside someone's house. We also saw some avocados, but they weren't ripe yet, as it is early in the season.

Most of the time, we drove on the one main road that follows the contour of the islands. At one point though, we veered off onto an unmarked road. The road itself was cement and paved and as we proceeded, it become more and more narrow. It was carved out of the side of the hills, with lots of Polynesian houses above and below it. Around the houses were gardens and fruit trees. I had always wondered where the people, who sell their produce at the small tables outside of the supermarket, grew their products.

The road went on for many miles narrowing more and more and being more and more covered by trees. Then suddenly it ended - right in the yard of a family's home (which looked more like a cottage). We looked behind us to see if we could back up and turn around, and by this time some of the people from the house had come out. They motioned to us to pull in so that we could turn around and we thanked them. We were just about to drive away; when Michael suggest that we ask if they have any bananas and if so, could we buy some. The woman, who looked like the grandmother of the family, said that bananas cost 300 francs ($3) for 15 - that's as much or more than we pay at home- but she said she didn't have any ripe ones at the moment. We explained that we were looking to buy a whole stock of green bananas and she directed a man, who I assume was here son or son-in-law, to go cut one. We could hear him sawing away in the bush and a few minutes later, he returned with a stock that weighed somewhere between 30- 40 pounds! This all happened so quickly, I hadn't had a chance to ask how much. Luckily she didn't price them the same as the ripe ones, and we ended up paying 1000 francs ($10).

Next, we asked about pamplemousse (grapefruits). She took us to a tree and told us to pick. We picked about 7-8 very large ones and she only charged us 500 francs ($5). She asked if we wanted mangoes, which we didn't, as we had lots on the boat already, but she just handed us a bag full as a gift. With many thanks, we drove away, the trunk of the car full of fruit!

Happy to have seen the islands and to have found truly fresh fruit, we returned the car in Fare, and headed back to the boat for a big bowl of fruit salad!


Comments
Vessel Name: Gromit
Vessel Make/Model: Olympic Adventure
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Michael, Cornelia, Zoe, Maia, Liam. Photo: At Tilloo Bank, Elbow Cay, Bahamas (photo by Frank Taylor)
About: Michael: The technical/mechanical/all about the boat and systems guy. Cornelia: The lists/house and land details gal. Zoe, Maia and Liam: Gromit's Skippers in Training!
Extra: Departure date: Summer 2008 email us at: sailinggromit@gmail.com
Gromit's Photos - Main
31 Photos
Created 5 June 2015
40 Photos
Created 30 May 2015
Fishing, fishing lures; Disco Boy, Disco Man and Sargasso Weeds
15 Photos
Created 4 May 2015
Southern most point on the continent of Africa
19 Photos
Created 9 February 2015
27 Photos
Created 14 December 2014
57 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
120 Photos
Created 9 December 2014
16 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
18 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 7 September 2014
39 Photos
Created 28 August 2014
15 Photos
Created 28 August 2014
21 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
63 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
Tea Paradise
34 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
50 Photos
Created 19 December 2013
Three days, two nights in the Thar Desert, Rajasthan, India.
90 Photos
Created 20 November 2013
50 Photos
Created 20 November 2013
35 Photos
Created 8 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 28 October 2013
14 Photos
Created 28 October 2013
17 Photos
Created 25 October 2013
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2013
No Photos
Created 11 April 2013
36 Photos
Created 12 March 2013
27 Photos
Created 7 March 2013
67 Photos
Created 11 February 2013
51 Photos
Created 29 December 2012
55 Photos
Created 25 October 2012
47 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
81 Photos
Created 9 September 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 August 2012
26 Photos
Created 24 July 2012
39 Photos
Created 4 March 2012
Opua, Auckland and Whangateau
51 Photos
Created 12 January 2012
51 Photos
Created 12 January 2012
Going back in time! Here are some pictures of our time in American Samoa from the end of August to the end of September.
69 Photos
Created 10 January 2012
Great Barrier Island, New Zealand
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
88 Photos
Created 4 November 2011
33 Photos
Created 26 October 2011
88 Photos
Created 17 September 2011
16 Photos
Created 2 September 2011
26 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 5 July 2011
20 Photos
Created 4 July 2011
9 Photos
Created 1 July 2011
17 Photos
Created 27 June 2011
No Photos
Created 27 June 2011
Gromit snags a big one!
5 Photos
Created 26 June 2011
33 Photos
Created 26 June 2011
43 Photos
Created 14 June 2011
60 Photos
Created 13 April 2011
24 Photos
Created 4 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 17 March 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2011
31 Photos
Created 31 January 2011
31 Photos
Created 12 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 24 December 2010
14 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
8 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
33 Photos
Created 3 December 2010
What we've been doing in the last weeks in Huahine.
34 Photos
Created 20 November 2010
This is for you, Eric and Jan!
28 Photos
Created 30 October 2010
17 Photos
Created 8 October 2010
17 Photos
Created 8 October 2010
13 Photos
Created 31 August 2010
24 Photos
Created 30 August 2010
11 Photos
Created 30 August 2010
53 Photos
Created 30 August 2010
10 Photos
Created 6 August 2010
10 Photos
Created 6 August 2010
15 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
29 Photos
Created 12 May 2010
12 Photos
Created 8 May 2010
A 10 pound tuna caught in the Perlas Islands, Panama.
7 Photos
Created 7 May 2010
10 Photos
Created 16 April 2010

Sailinggromit

Who: Michael, Cornelia, Zoe, Maia, Liam. Photo: At Tilloo Bank, Elbow Cay, Bahamas (photo by Frank Taylor)
Port: Toronto