Sailing Gromit

26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
26 March 2016
16 January 2016
29 November 2015
18 August 2015 | Home
18 August 2015 | Home
18 August 2015 | Home
18 August 2015 | Our house
18 August 2015 | At Home

Michael's Retrospective of 2014

21 January 2015 | Simon's Town, South Africa
Happy New Year All,

I can’t believe it’s 2015. We are currently tied up to a dock in Simon’s Town, South Africa, about 20 km from the Cape Of Good Hope or The Cape of Storms as it was known before it was re-branded by the Portuguese. We have spent a great Christmas and New Year here. I’ve written up a few words on our journey and our last year, so I hope you all have time to read it.

During the planning of our circumnavigation, which started over 11 years ago, the dates for departure and return were to be bound by the kids’ ages and school. The start date was driven by not leaving too early so that Liam could remember the beginning of the trip and the end date was to be bound by getting Zoe back for the first year of high school. We had read that a duration of 4-5 years was a reasonable time frame. We had heard of families taking 6-7 years, and have met people taking over 20 years. Like any plan for the future one must be ready to reset the goals. We left a year later than initially planned, spent an extra year in the Atlantic because of technical issues with the boat, had a serendipitous year on a French Polynesian island where the kids all went to local schools and then added an extra year in Asia to fit in a trip back to Canada and land travel in China and India. This Christmas was our 7th one on board. Liam remembers the beginning of the trip and the plan is to get Zoe back for her last year of high school.

This last year we visited 9 countries, sailed over 7,200 miles, starting in Malaysia and ending up in our current location at the bottom of South Africa. Like in most people’s lives there are good times and bad times. To give everyone a feel for what we have experienced, I’ve decided to try to describe my two best and two worst times of 2014.

2014 Worst Time #1: After leaving Sri Lanka our plan was to travel 600 miles south to the bottom of the Maldivian Archipelago, for a 2-3 day visit for a last provisioning prior to our Chagos visit where we would have no opportunity to resupply for 2 months. The trip should have taken us 4 days and ended up taking 11 days and we were still 100 miles short. This passage would be our 3rd equator crossing. Equator crossings seem to consistently come with nasty weather. This one did not come up short. Oceanic equatorial regions have what is called an Inter Tropical Convergence Zone (ITCZ) which is a weather zone typically filled with squalls, rain, heavy clouds and sometimes lightning. In our case at 70 miles from our destination we were confronted with relentless wind and current coming from the direction we needed to go. We spent the best part of 4 days trying to advance towards our destination and ended up running out of our primary fuel supply and lost our engine starter trying to re-prime the diesel engine. This was overcome by using our back-up diesel from 4 Jerry cans and installing the spare starter. The starter installation became a challenge when I found that I could not get access to the starter bolts because the engine position had changed during a transmission rebuild 3 years prior. I had to machine away the engine bed with a Sawzal to get at the bolts. I finally got the starter in and the engine started using WD40. It turns out that the starter which was brand new at the beginning of the trip had been unknowingly compromised during a previous engine re-priming and finally failed whist out at sea. We spent just over a week in a fishing port in one of the largest atolls in the area to get everything back into shape.

2014 Best Time #1: One of our top spots last year was the uninhabited Salomon Atoll, in the archipelago of Chagos, a British Indian Ocean Territory. There are a number of factors that make Chagos a highlight. Firstly being in a remote anchorage with a small group of international cruising boats, beautiful pristine nature and fantastic fishing can be hard to beat. We had many days of trolling for big fish, trying to pull them in before the reef sharks got them, cleaning them on the beach and having sashimi and barbeques back on the boat. The snorkelling was fantastic and spending time with Smoke (a New Zealand cruising family of 5) and Simanderal (British boat with 3 adults aboard) was great fun.
Secondly, there was no infrastructure, i.e. no stores, shops or external communications which eliminates the distractions of an active port. This is good for a while and great for Dad’s pocket book since we topped out with the longest ever consecutive “zero dollar day” where no one had a chance to spend any money. After being there for 5 weeks we had to get going since our supplies were running low and we still had at least 2 weeks of passage time before we could replenish.

2014 Worst Time #2: Whilst in Chagos one of the boats that we got to know quite well was the British crew aboard the Swedish built yacht Simanderal. Simanderal was built by the company Malo which has an excellent reputation for quality. We had a tour of the boat and were really impressed with its systems and its upkeep; they had an engine room that you could eat off of. Simanderal, Smoke and we had a few planning sessions on passage strategies to discuss winds, currents and routes to our next common destination of Mayotte, some 1700 miles away. Simanderal was the first to leave, followed by Smoke a week later and then us about 5 days later. About our 3rd day out we were trying to download a very long email entitled “The End” via our bandwidth impaired SSB radio system. At first I thought it was someone sending us a joke however the download had failed and we had no idea about what “The End” was about. A few days later I managed to get the full email and we were shocked. Simanderal was at the bottom of the ocean about 90 miles north of Madagascar, the crew had a dramatic night rescue by a freighter some 20 hours after the bottom of their rudder had detached from its skeg and had thrashed to the point that they could no longer keep up with the water ingress. Fortunately no one was hurt. This was a stark reminder that anything can happen regardless of the boats pedigree. This news was emotionally devastating; we were heading towards the same waters which are known for their nastiness. It’s very easy during a passage for your mind to dwell on all the possible ways that your boat can fail. After Simanderal’s sinking we decided to order an Iridium satellite phone to complement our offshore communications. We hope to never use it for a distress call.
If you care to read Simanderal’s account follow the link: http://blog.mailasail.com/simanderal/342

2014 Best Time #2: When we sail we are essentially moving our home, everything we left with from Canada and everything we’ve picked up on route goes for the ride. We roll, we pitch, we yaw and waves sometimes crash into us, it can make you anxious when the weather is unpleasant or it can be some of the best times when the weather is steady and the winds are moderate. We are also forced to travel around the clock because there is no place to stop on the open ocean. This last September we day sailed along the North Western coast of Madagascar with 2 other buddy boats as we travelled south within the Mozambique Channel. We would typically leave between 6-7 in the morning and try to anchor by 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Every day the weather would repeat with cloudless skies and the same wind conditions. We would start with a morning offshore breeze of 10-15 knots which would die around 11am and then it would slowly pick up again by noon with an onshore breeze of 12-20 knots. These day sails have been the best that we have had so far in the entire journey. We didn’t get the fatigue of running shifts, didn’t get the big waves or swell that we often get on the ocean and the whole family would get up on deck for all the sail handling and our ‘house’ just kept on getting relocated further south from one beautiful bay to the next.

The boat: I can’t write this much without mentioning something about the boat. Last year Gromit turned 40. Prior to leaving, we had replaced just about every system with new equipment. Now in our 7th year we have had to replace many things a second time. Some of the items on round 2 are: Xantrax inverter, Icom VHF (on the 3rd), Victron battery charger, Honda generator, BlueSky Solar Battery Monitor, Toshiba TV, CD Player/car stereo, Proline 120A alternator, external alternator regulator (qty 4), 4D starter battery, house battery bank (8 golf cart batteries), Trident Propane detector, Garmin GPS receiver antenna, Icom SSB microphone, Furuno Chartplotter motherboard, Comnav Autopilot Course computer, Autonav Autopilot hydraulic pump, Magma marine BBQ, mini shopvac (on the 3rd), forestay rigging toggle, Bora fan (2 out of 5), computer printers (on our 3rd), Portaboat dinghy seats, about 200 hoseclamps and a Lucas starter motor. Out of all of the above items I can blame myself for the failure of at least 3, and for the rest one of my theories is that some of these multinational companies messed up during their transition to cheaper offshore facilities. And, just about every time one of these items failed, finding a replacement was not easy since we were remote or in countries where this stuff is just not sold.

Our travels have let us meet many different people. While we were in India I met a young MBA graduate who said: “As a student in India, if you stand out as 1 in a million, there are another million just like you”. As a family, we are in a small global community of sailors moving around the world, within the confines of seasonal weather. The majority of them are retired couples who are moving along the same route as us, and within this community we have met a small subset of families travelling with kids and within this subset we have only met one other family that is working towards completing a circumnavigation by rounding the Cape of Good Hope this season. The next easiest option for a sailing route is the Red Sea via Somalia and we don’t know anyone who’s gone that way. I never thought we’d be such a minority.
The kids are now 12, 14 and 16 and its time to get us all back home. Our plan is to sail Gromit to the US (approximately 8000 miles) by July of this year and to put it up for sale. I would love to sail him all the way back to the Great Lakes but keeping Gromit at this stage is just not what we need during our restart on land life. Our plan is to have the girls write exams here and prepare for a departure from South Africa before the end of the month. Once we leave South Africa our first stop will be the island of St Helena (1650 miles), followed by Ascension (750 miles), Brazil (1350 miles), Caribbean (1900 miles), Bahamas (1300 miles) and finally the US (700 miles), but of course the plan could change!

I wish you all a great year in 2015!!
Michael

Follow our tracks:
http://shiptrak.org/?callsign=Ve3mzl&filter=0


Comments
Vessel Name: Gromit
Vessel Make/Model: Olympic Adventure
Hailing Port: Toronto
Crew: Michael, Cornelia, Zoe, Maia, Liam. Photo: At Tilloo Bank, Elbow Cay, Bahamas (photo by Frank Taylor)
About: Michael: The technical/mechanical/all about the boat and systems guy. Cornelia: The lists/house and land details gal. Zoe, Maia and Liam: Gromit's Skippers in Training!
Extra: Departure date: Summer 2008 email us at: sailinggromit@gmail.com
Gromit's Photos - Main
31 Photos
Created 5 June 2015
40 Photos
Created 30 May 2015
Fishing, fishing lures; Disco Boy, Disco Man and Sargasso Weeds
15 Photos
Created 4 May 2015
Southern most point on the continent of Africa
19 Photos
Created 9 February 2015
27 Photos
Created 14 December 2014
57 Photos
Created 11 December 2014
120 Photos
Created 9 December 2014
16 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
18 Photos
Created 26 October 2014
37 Photos
Created 11 September 2014
9 Photos
Created 7 September 2014
39 Photos
Created 28 August 2014
15 Photos
Created 28 August 2014
21 Photos
Created 26 August 2014
63 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
Tea Paradise
34 Photos
Created 19 April 2014
50 Photos
Created 19 December 2013
Three days, two nights in the Thar Desert, Rajasthan, India.
90 Photos
Created 20 November 2013
50 Photos
Created 20 November 2013
35 Photos
Created 8 November 2013
20 Photos
Created 28 October 2013
14 Photos
Created 28 October 2013
17 Photos
Created 25 October 2013
15 Photos
Created 20 October 2013
No Photos
Created 11 April 2013
36 Photos
Created 12 March 2013
27 Photos
Created 7 March 2013
67 Photos
Created 11 February 2013
51 Photos
Created 29 December 2012
55 Photos
Created 25 October 2012
47 Photos
Created 25 September 2012
81 Photos
Created 9 September 2012
18 Photos
Created 29 August 2012
26 Photos
Created 24 July 2012
39 Photos
Created 4 March 2012
Opua, Auckland and Whangateau
51 Photos
Created 12 January 2012
51 Photos
Created 12 January 2012
Going back in time! Here are some pictures of our time in American Samoa from the end of August to the end of September.
69 Photos
Created 10 January 2012
Great Barrier Island, New Zealand
29 Photos
Created 8 January 2012
88 Photos
Created 4 November 2011
33 Photos
Created 26 October 2011
88 Photos
Created 17 September 2011
16 Photos
Created 2 September 2011
26 Photos
Created 6 July 2011
7 Photos
Created 5 July 2011
20 Photos
Created 4 July 2011
9 Photos
Created 1 July 2011
17 Photos
Created 27 June 2011
No Photos
Created 27 June 2011
Gromit snags a big one!
5 Photos
Created 26 June 2011
33 Photos
Created 26 June 2011
43 Photos
Created 14 June 2011
60 Photos
Created 13 April 2011
24 Photos
Created 4 April 2011
9 Photos
Created 17 March 2011
18 Photos
Created 22 February 2011
31 Photos
Created 31 January 2011
31 Photos
Created 12 January 2011
21 Photos
Created 24 December 2010
14 Photos
Created 12 December 2010
8 Photos
Created 4 December 2010
33 Photos
Created 3 December 2010
What we've been doing in the last weeks in Huahine.
34 Photos
Created 20 November 2010
This is for you, Eric and Jan!
28 Photos
Created 30 October 2010
17 Photos
Created 8 October 2010
17 Photos
Created 8 October 2010
13 Photos
Created 31 August 2010
24 Photos
Created 30 August 2010
11 Photos
Created 30 August 2010
53 Photos
Created 30 August 2010
10 Photos
Created 6 August 2010
10 Photos
Created 6 August 2010
15 Photos
Created 30 May 2010
29 Photos
Created 12 May 2010
12 Photos
Created 8 May 2010
A 10 pound tuna caught in the Perlas Islands, Panama.
7 Photos
Created 7 May 2010
10 Photos
Created 16 April 2010

Sailinggromit

Who: Michael, Cornelia, Zoe, Maia, Liam. Photo: At Tilloo Bank, Elbow Cay, Bahamas (photo by Frank Taylor)
Port: Toronto