SailBlogs
Bookmark and Share
Kirralaa
Approaching Eden
Phil
20/01/2011, North of Tathra

1400 hours Thursday 20th
We have had a light S wind on the nose all day which means the motor has been moving us along. It's been a good day with mostly clear skies and I am hoping it stays that way tonight as it's a full moon and it's great to sail at night in these conditions. We have 148 nautical miles to Eden which will be our departure point to cross Bass Straight. At our current speed of 6 knots we will be there at about 1600 hours tomorrow. I prepared 3 meals before we left and Bob brought one on board so its chicken curry tonight. WE have seen lots of porpoises today but they are not too interested in us.
0900 hours Friday 21st
Currently south of Bermagui and have just started the motor due to light winds. We sailed most of the night with just a single reef in the main. We are using a 2 hour watch system that gives you a 4 hour stretch off watch to sleep and this worked well last night.

Tasmania Trip
What a Difference a Day Makes
Phil
19/01/2011, South of Port Hacking

We left Sydney Harbour yesterday at 0530 and as soon as exiting the heads found ourselves bashing into a 15 knot SE Breeze which was most uncomfortable. WE put up with it for a few hours then I decided to seek shelter at Jibbon Beach in Port Hacking. Its a great place in this wind and after the crew had a nanna nap we went ashore for a good walk and looked at the aboriginal rock carvings.
After a great meal prepared by Bob it was an early night.
We left Port Hacking about an hour ago at 0530 and are sailing in near perfect conditions.
All is well on-board.

Tasmania Trip
20/01/2011 | Hannie Collett
Hi there Geoff & Pill
I hope the wind will blow you along the route you wish to go as hanging about is frustrating. I gardened a bit more yesterday & today but a lot more to go. I am sure you don't mind one bit. Will go to T/wmba tomorrow about time I was with the grandies.
All the best till next time.
Han
Not Long To Go
Phil
16/01/2011, Sydney

I was generally a happy child except when I did not get my own way and Heather would say that 62 years after this photo was taken I have not changed one little bit!!
These last few days have been frustrating just waiting to get going and get going we will. Geoff will arrive on Tuesday afternoon and we will head off early Wednesday morning. At this stage the weather looks good at least to Eden and we will make our decision about crossing Bass Straight then.
Quite a few of the yachts are already on the move with 3 in Tasmanian waters already. One yacht Caprice of Huon has been weather bound in Eden for 10 days and is returning home.
I am writing this from home just as the sun is rising on what looks like a beautiful day.

Tasmania Trip
All dressed up and nowhere to go
Phil
10/01/2011, Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron

Yesterday I brought Kirralaa into the club dock and loaded up all the gear and food ready for a early morning departure on Thursday. The forecast is good although some rain included.
Everything got put on hold today with a call from Geoff who lives in SE Queensland saying he was flooded in and had be evacuated from his house. Fortunately his house is OK but all roads to Brisbane from where he has to fly out from are closed.
Tasmania isn't going anywhere so we will wait for Geoff to arrive before setting off and expect that will not be for a few days yet. The floods in his part of Queensland have been bad and I think worse is in store for Brisbane over the next few days

Tasmania Trip
A week to go
Phil
02/01/2011, Sydney

Crew comes aboard on the 12th and weather permitting we will head south on the 13th. The seemingly endless jobs that need to be done are just about complete and I am now loading food and general supplies. Weather reports for this week are not favorable so I am hoping for better news next week. We have lots of weather information for this trip so I am confidant we wont get caught out as long as we are patient. 2 boats have already left and are sheltering from the Southerly winds in Jervis Bay. Its a good place for shelter but will wear a bit thin by the end of the week when a better forecast is expected. The harbour has calmed down after the huge amount of boats for NYE. I spent a couple of hours diving on the hull and cleaning it the other day and am starting to feel all of my 66 years at the finish of this job. Thought I would try out the storm jib rig and all went well until I really winched it on and down it came. The snap shackle on the halyard gave way and now the halyard is up near the top of the mast. As upsetting as this is I am glad to find the problem now rather than when its really needed. We will retrieve the halyard when Geoff gets here.
There are about 18 yachts traveling in loose company to Hobart so sure to catch up with them from time to time.
Next entry will be when we are underway.
Phil

Tasmania Trip

Newer ]

 

 
Powered by SailBlogs