Bookmark and Share
The Devil Red Wine
27/01/2011, Encampment Cove

Encampment Cove gave us good shelter from the WSW wind last night which only lasted a short time and did not disrupt our BBQ dinner. We must confess to 1or 2 celebratory drinks for my first crossing of Bass Straight and all 3 of us feel a little less chirpy this morning. Geoff who is our resident fisherman has been instructed to catch flathead today as I am not taking any food out of the freezer to thaw (nothing like a bit of pressure) Later this morning we will go ashore for a walk to explore this part of the island. The morning is cool and overcast but looks like it may clear a little later.

Tasmania Trip
27/01/2011 | Paul Jackson
Well done Phil and crew - crossing Bass Strait is one to tell the grandchildren. Very impressed. Hot and humid this end so we envy your idyllic conditions. By all means have a couple more celebratory drinks - believe the recent Swedish studies support this (and if they don't, they should....) Paul J
13/02/2011 | janis&Vic
Hello Kirralaa;
Love the pics. Keep them coming.
In North America a flathead is an Indian!
Hope you arn't catching too many. Cheers Jan
We are on our Way
24/01/2011, South Green Cape

0630 Tuesday 25th Jan. 2011
WE left Eden at 0340 Tuesday morning after having a southerly blowing all day. Bob went ashore and had his massage and did some shopping and while he was away the SE change came in at around 20+ knots. We were exposed to it and for awhile thought we may not be able to get Bob back onboard but all went well. Had a quite remainder of the day with naps and getting Kirralaa ready to leave.
Its 0630 as I write this and we have just passed Green Cape Lighthouse. It's a grey morning with sea mist and flat calm sea with no wind.
I am unsure about internet coverage so you may not hear from me for a couple of days. We hope to be at our first stop some time Thursday morning which will be in the Triabunna area as this is where Bob will get off to bus it into Hobart and fly home

Tasmania Trip
Approaching Eden
20/01/2011, North of Tathra

1400 hours Thursday 20th
We have had a light S wind on the nose all day which means the motor has been moving us along. It's been a good day with mostly clear skies and I am hoping it stays that way tonight as it's a full moon and it's great to sail at night in these conditions. We have 148 nautical miles to Eden which will be our departure point to cross Bass Straight. At our current speed of 6 knots we will be there at about 1600 hours tomorrow. I prepared 3 meals before we left and Bob brought one on board so its chicken curry tonight. WE have seen lots of porpoises today but they are not too interested in us.
0900 hours Friday 21st
Currently south of Bermagui and have just started the motor due to light winds. We sailed most of the night with just a single reef in the main. We are using a 2 hour watch system that gives you a 4 hour stretch off watch to sleep and this worked well last night.

Tasmania Trip
What a Difference a Day Makes
19/01/2011, South of Port Hacking

We left Sydney Harbour yesterday at 0530 and as soon as exiting the heads found ourselves bashing into a 15 knot SE Breeze which was most uncomfortable. WE put up with it for a few hours then I decided to seek shelter at Jibbon Beach in Port Hacking. Its a great place in this wind and after the crew had a nanna nap we went ashore for a good walk and looked at the aboriginal rock carvings.
After a great meal prepared by Bob it was an early night.
We left Port Hacking about an hour ago at 0530 and are sailing in near perfect conditions.
All is well on-board.

Tasmania Trip
20/01/2011 | Hannie Collett
Hi there Geoff & Pill
I hope the wind will blow you along the route you wish to go as hanging about is frustrating. I gardened a bit more yesterday & today but a lot more to go. I am sure you don't mind one bit. Will go to T/wmba tomorrow about time I was with the grandies.
All the best till next time.
Not Long To Go
16/01/2011, Sydney

I was generally a happy child except when I did not get my own way and Heather would say that 62 years after this photo was taken I have not changed one little bit!!
These last few days have been frustrating just waiting to get going and get going we will. Geoff will arrive on Tuesday afternoon and we will head off early Wednesday morning. At this stage the weather looks good at least to Eden and we will make our decision about crossing Bass Straight then.
Quite a few of the yachts are already on the move with 3 in Tasmanian waters already. One yacht Caprice of Huon has been weather bound in Eden for 10 days and is returning home.
I am writing this from home just as the sun is rising on what looks like a beautiful day.

Tasmania Trip
All dressed up and nowhere to go
10/01/2011, Royal Sydney Yacht Squadron

Yesterday I brought Kirralaa into the club dock and loaded up all the gear and food ready for a early morning departure on Thursday. The forecast is good although some rain included.
Everything got put on hold today with a call from Geoff who lives in SE Queensland saying he was flooded in and had be evacuated from his house. Fortunately his house is OK but all roads to Brisbane from where he has to fly out from are closed.
Tasmania isn't going anywhere so we will wait for Geoff to arrive before setting off and expect that will not be for a few days yet. The floods in his part of Queensland have been bad and I think worse is in store for Brisbane over the next few days

Tasmania Trip

Newer ]  |  [ Older ]


Who: Phil
Port: Sydney Australia
View Complete Profile »
SailBlogs Friends

Powered by SailBlogs