04 December 2012 | Opua, New Zealand
22 November 2012 | Opua, New Zealand
22 November 2012 | Almost in Opua, New Zealand
19 November 2012 | Between Tonga and New Zealand
17 November 2012 | Between Tonga and New Zealand
16 November 2012 | Minerva Reef To New Zealand (Opua)
14 November 2012 | Minerva Reef
13 November 2012 | Sailing to from Tonga to NZ (Opua)
12 November 2012 | Nuku'alofa, Tongatapu
11 November 2012 | Pangaimotu, Tongatapu
02 November 2012 | Port Mourelle, Tonga
20 October 2012 | Cooks Islands to Tonga
14 October 2012 | Suwarrow, Cooks Islands
11 October 2012 | Suwarrow, Cooks Islands
05 October 2012 | Suwarrow, Cooks Islands
04 October 2012 | Suwarrow, Cooks Islands
04 October 2012 | Between French Polynesia and Cooks Islands
01 October 2012 | Between French Polynesia and Cooks Islands

Breakfast at the Glacier

02 April 2012 | Bahia Elisabeth, Seno Eyre
Nina
Today I woke up to the sound of the motor. That's the bad thing about having your bed right next to the motor, it's noisy and when it's in neutral vibrates so much I can get any sleep. Other than that it's really nice since it warms up the cabin and keeps our mattress dry here in Patagonia. Anyway the reason for the engine to be on was that Mum and Dad wanted to have breakfast with Pio XI (the glacier not the pope). So, after getting dressed, Lucas and I went outside. We were just about to go around the corner and we could see the glacier up ahead. All around it were bergy bits, some huge and someonly big as an ice cube. There must have been billions of them. We let down the anchor to the waterline to help to clear the way but we could still hear horrible scraping sounds on the side of the hull. We turned off the motor and drifted while we had breakfast. Lucas collected ice cubes and I read for a while. Then we rowed over in the dinghy to an iceberg and hopped onto it. It was big and flat with lots of little holes and notches so it was really non-slippery. We stayed on it for while then rowed back. It was a bit hard because the wind had picked up and whenever we got a bit closer to the boat, it drifted away again. When we finally got back, Dad turned the motor and Mum took the dinghy right up close to the glacier and took lots of photos. When she came back, Lucas went with her to visit a glacier waterfall. When they came back Lucas was wet from waist down because he fell in the water from an iceberg. After he had a hot shower we motored to Caleta Sally. We tied up to the shore near a waterfall and filled up the water tank while having lunch, which was hotdogs. We anchored in Bahia Elisabeth again. Mum, dad and Lucas went to the river for fishing and I stayed at the boat reading since I wasn't feeling well. It was really dark when they came back and we had salmon with some fruity sauce (dried pears and raisins) Dad made up for dinner. Then I wrote this.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kleiner Bar
Vessel Make/Model: Nordsee 41 /Dubbel & Jesse
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Werner Hennig, Lucia Chagas, Nina Hennig and Lucas Hennig
About:
We left New Zealand in May 2008 and we spend the first year cruising in the pacific islands. In 2009 we sailed in Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Australia and Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand. [...]

Kleiner Bar

Who: Werner Hennig, Lucia Chagas, Nina Hennig and Lucas Hennig
Port: Auckland, New Zealand