04 December 2012 | Opua, New Zealand
22 November 2012 | Opua, New Zealand
22 November 2012 | Almost in Opua, New Zealand
19 November 2012 | Between Tonga and New Zealand
17 November 2012 | Between Tonga and New Zealand
16 November 2012 | Minerva Reef To New Zealand (Opua)
14 November 2012 | Minerva Reef
13 November 2012 | Sailing to from Tonga to NZ (Opua)
12 November 2012 | Nuku'alofa, Tongatapu
11 November 2012 | Pangaimotu, Tongatapu
02 November 2012 | Port Mourelle, Tonga
20 October 2012 | Cooks Islands to Tonga
14 October 2012 | Suwarrow, Cooks Islands
11 October 2012 | Suwarrow, Cooks Islands
05 October 2012 | Suwarrow, Cooks Islands
04 October 2012 | Suwarrow, Cooks Islands
04 October 2012 | Between French Polynesia and Cooks Islands
01 October 2012 | Between French Polynesia and Cooks Islands

On the road again

16 November 2012 | Minerva Reef To New Zealand (Opua)
Lucia
We decided to spend only one night in Minerva Reef. It was very protected, there is no swell during the low tide and we had a great night of sleep. Next day we decided to leave, we had a yummy mahi mahi for lunch and left around 3:00 pm. We didn't want to risk losing the weather window staying longer in the reef but I would have loved to go for a walk on the reef during low tide.

The weather window to go to Opua is very good at the moment with forecast of 10-15 knots of wind (from the right direction) until we get there. There are around 15 boats in the 50 miles radius from us, only two in sight but we're happy to not have many others at night. The boats we have close to us we know who they are and we have radio contact.

Today we passed only 5 miles away from Windigo and we were surprised how close we were from it. We got the position of the boat after we passed it so we were not aware of the danger. Windigo was abandoned a week ago after they capsized on a storm and the crew got injured. They asked for help and they got rescued and went back to NZ. The boat and two life-rafts are afloat and today we got the position of them. In a ocean like that it was scary close. The boat is still floating on the course of a boat coming from Tonga to New Zealand and its a hazard, specially at night.

Our passage so far has been wonderful, light wind and calm seas. We are doing well not using the engine much but if we get becalmed we will. Its nice to be able to have a nice meal, a good night sleep and its sunny and still warm!

Position: 25' 10.31S: 179' 17.42E Course: 210' Speed: 4.5 knots(from 3-5.5 knots during the day) Wind: E, SE Wind speed: 10 (from 7-10 knots today)
Comments
Vessel Name: Kleiner Bar
Vessel Make/Model: Nordsee 41 /Dubbel & Jesse
Hailing Port: Auckland, New Zealand
Crew: Werner Hennig, Lucia Chagas, Nina Hennig and Lucas Hennig
About:
We left New Zealand in May 2008 and we spend the first year cruising in the pacific islands. In 2009 we sailed in Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Australia and Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand. [...]

Kleiner Bar

Who: Werner Hennig, Lucia Chagas, Nina Hennig and Lucas Hennig
Port: Auckland, New Zealand