Talespinner

Musings of a sailor, writer, dreamer

05 June 2010 | Green Turtle Cay
22 August 2008 | Cooley�s Landing Marina, Fort Lauderdale
29 June 2008 | Bimini
26 June 2008 | Lynyard Cay
20 June 2008 | Hopetown Harbor
10 June 2008 | Man O� War Cay
05 June 2008 | Marsh Harbor
28 May 2008 | Black Sound, Green Turtle Cay
24 May 2008 | Green Turtle Cay
19 May 2008 | Moraine Cay
18 May 2008 | Mangrove Cay
18 May 2008 | West End, Grand Bahama
06 February 2008 | Fort Lauderdale, FL
13 August 2007 | Long Cove, Tenants Harbor
09 August 2007 | Robinhood Marine Center, Riggs Cove
02 August 2007 | Seal Cove just inside Cape Elizabeth
29 July 2007 | Salem, Mass.
23 July 2007 | Brenton Cove, Newport Harbor
22 July 2007 | Mystic Seaport, CT
15 July 2007 | Newport Marina, Jersey City, New Jersey

Downeast No More

13 August 2007 | Long Cove, Tenants Harbor
Winds NW 8-12 kts. Overcast, occasional rain. High 70 low 59
I will leave to fly home day after tomorrow and today we turn around and start back to Portland. This is the farthest downeast I will make it this year.

We absolutely loved our stay at Robinhood and when we left and sailed to Boothbay Harbor, it was with a little smile of regret. There was so much entertainment there, from the lecture, to the courtesy car that allowed us to drive around Georgetown Island and visit the town of Bath. One of the most memorable moments in Robinhood was when a big inflatable dinghy with a center console steering station and about 10 people, including 6-8 little kids, pulled up alongside us in our dinghy. We couldn't help but notice the NY numbers on the dinghy. Then the father called out, "What time do the seals come out?" Boy, were we tempted . . .

We might no be local Mainiacs, but we have attempted on our trip to read up on the places we visit and to be respectful of the environment. We've heard people on the radio call the Coast Guard and ask for a heading to get them home. We've heard many a Mayday and call for help on this trip. But never before had we met anyone who thought that the natural world ran on a schedule like Sea World!

From BoothBay Harbor we had a fabulous sail up to Tenants Harbor on Penobscot Bay and this is as far as we'll get. Today we head back. This large bay is considered by many to be the best cruising in Maine and all we've been able to do is explore a few islands here and go into the little village for a beer and a lobster roll at the wharfside restaurant called Cod's End. There is sooo much more to see. Next year.

Today we are headed for Jewel Island just outside Portland and then on to Portland on Tuesday morning. It's gray and drizzly and cold out. The weather is telling us it's time to turn back south again. We made it to 43 58' N. I never thought I'd sail in such northern latitudes - and love it.

Fair winds!
Comments
Vessel Name: Talespinner
Vessel Make/Model: Caliber 33
Hailing Port: Fort Lauderdale
Crew: Christine Kling
About: Christine is the writes nautical fiction including the suspense novels featuring tug and salvage captain Seychelle Sullivan and the the Caribbean thriller, Circle of Bones. She cruises aboard OPB's (other People's Boats) and her own Caliber 33 Talespinner.
Extra:
Christine has cruised the waters of the South Pacific, Caribbean and Atlantic for over 35 years. She has been a charterboat cook, windsurfing instructor, crew, and homeschooling mom. Christine bought her own boat in 2005, and it has been her primary home ever since. Christine is fulfilling her [...]
Home Page: http://www.sailblogs.com/member/kling/

The crew

Who: Christine Kling
Port: Fort Lauderdale