s/v Skylark

It's Always An Adventure

02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
20 November 2016 | Washington DC/Charlotte NC
06 November 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 November 2016 | Yarmouth, ME
26 October 2016 | Colombia, Cartagena (posted from Bethel, ME)
26 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
16 October 2016 | Camden, Maine
16 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
02 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine

Mountains of Puerto Rico

31 March 2013 | Spanish VI Puerto Rico
Elizabeth
We arrived in Salinas, Puerto Rico yesterday afternoon. Our plan was to stop somewhere along the way for an overnight stay, but we carried on and made it from Esperanza, Vieques to Salinas in 8 hours. It was a wild ride the last 2/3 of the trip, with mixed up seas between Vieques and Puerto Rico proper as the winds built from 10-20k. As we sailed down the south coast of PR the seas became more consistent out of the ENE but the wind kept building into the mid 20k range, capping out at 28k for the last few hours. We went from being in 1000' of water to an abrupt drop down to 50', causing the seas to get short and steep with breaking waves. Thankfully we were going with the wind and waves but being pushed at 7-8k in those conditions was somewhat unnerving when the water got so shallow. As we rounded the mangrove islands of Bahia de Jobos, we encountered a tug pulling a barge occupying the very channel we wanted to scoot in to get out of the heavy seas. We opted not to share the channel which would have required us to cut in front of him because there was no slowing down to go behind him. We stayed out in the seas and once we passed the mangroves, we rounded up towards Salinas. Whew!

This photo was taken just as we approached Salinas. In this shot, look for the choppy seas, mangroves, sun on the incredibly stunning mountain range, clouds building and storm clouds on top. It pretty much sums up the moment. A lot going on at once.

We'll be here a few days, renting a car and exploring Old San Juan tomorrow or the next day. Our friend Pip on s/v Picaroon is here while his wife Heather is off consulting in Indonesia.
Comments
Vessel Name: Skylark
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1CC 1985
Hailing Port: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Crew: Ed Easter, Elizabeth Meadows and Luna the dog
About: Ed, Elizabeth and Luna the dog lived for many years in Charlotte, NC. They started their live aboard experience in Charleston, SC in June 2011, cutting the lines one month later. They have been living the cruiser's life ever since.
Extra:
Skylark is a USA documented vessel and is legally identified by her name "Skylark" and hailing port "Boothbay Harbor". Since our purchase of her in 2008 she had been moored in Tenants Harbor ME '08, Rockland ME '09 and Charleston SC for the 2010 and early 2011 season. After that follow the blog [...]
Skylark's Photos - Main
94 Photos
Created 13 June 2010