s/v Skylark

It's Always An Adventure

02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
20 November 2016 | Washington DC/Charlotte NC
06 November 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 November 2016 | Yarmouth, ME
26 October 2016 | Colombia, Cartagena (posted from Bethel, ME)
26 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
16 October 2016 | Camden, Maine
16 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
02 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine

On Our Way (Again)

11 July 2016 | Scituate, MA
Elizabeth
We are underway to complete the final two (or possibly three) legs of our journey. Yesterday afternoon Ed, Luna and I moved ourselves and all our bags back onto Skylark in the hopes the weather would cooperate with us today for an early morning departure. We were sad to say goodbye to Aunt Nancy and her family but are eager to get moving. Some cruising friends who just brought their boat from the Islands to this area invited us to Boston for an impromptu engagement party tonight but we need to stay focused at this point on getting ourselves back to Maine. Our life as cruisers really is coming to an end.

Conditions this morning are less than ideal but not impossible. We hope to make it to York, ME today (10 hours) but if the conditions are too rolly or miserable, we'll stop in Gloucester, MA or Isle of Shoals, NH. From those points we'll sail into either S. Freeport or Yarmouth, ME. We want to offload some of Skylark's heavier items before we put her on the hard in Yarmouth, otherwise it's a bear climbing up and down a 10' ladder carrying bundles. We're not sure whether we want to do that in Yarmouth or if it makes better sense to get a mooring ball in S. Freeport before moving on. If money was no object, we would have greater flexibility but we are ever mindful of returning to a life where expenses suddenly mount. It's surprising how quickly that happens and will take some adjusting to on our part.

As of now we are about a month behind "schedule". We have medical appointments lined up and hope they don't have to be cancelled, we are eager to see our niece before she leaves the state for college in the Northwest, we'd hoped to see the kids and friends in NC by early fall and my mother baked a strawberry-rhubarb pie that awaits our arrival. We have other time-sensitive issues to be dealt with and while we're not exactly anxious, we are certainly cognizant of how far behind we are in terms of our expectations. Expectations don't make sense in either the world of sea gypsies or dirt dwellers. It is a sure-fire way to make fools of every one of us.
Comments
Vessel Name: Skylark
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1CC 1985
Hailing Port: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Crew: Ed Easter, Elizabeth Meadows and Luna the dog
About: Ed, Elizabeth and Luna the dog lived for many years in Charlotte, NC. They started their live aboard experience in Charleston, SC in June 2011, cutting the lines one month later. They have been living the cruiser's life ever since.
Extra:
Skylark is a USA documented vessel and is legally identified by her name "Skylark" and hailing port "Boothbay Harbor". Since our purchase of her in 2008 she had been moored in Tenants Harbor ME '08, Rockland ME '09 and Charleston SC for the 2010 and early 2011 season. After that follow the blog [...]
Skylark's Photos - Main
94 Photos
Created 13 June 2010