s/v Skylark

It's Always An Adventure

02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
20 November 2016 | Washington DC/Charlotte NC
06 November 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 November 2016 | Yarmouth, ME
26 October 2016 | Colombia, Cartagena (posted from Bethel, ME)
26 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
16 October 2016 | Camden, Maine
16 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
02 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine

Catch of the Day

06 June 2012 | Between Bequia & Cancouan, the Grenadines
Elizabeth
We left Bequia Saturday morning (not before Luna got her much anticipated morning romp on Princess Margaret Beach) and headed south to Canouan in the Grenadines. It was a clear day, the wind was blowing 12-15 kts, the seas were 4-6’, a smooth sail on a beam reach. Ed had his new fishing lure out, having just purchased it in Bequia. He had also rigged a spinning rod and had a small flashy lure on it. A fish hit the new lure on the deep sea boat rod, the reel and the drag started screaming and we jumped into action. This time we were slightly more organized than the mayhem we encountered when we caught the mahi-mahi between Antigua and St. Barths. I took the wheel, took the boat off autopilot and fell off quickly, heading downwind to slow the boat down. Once slowed, I put the boat back on autopilot and got the fish belt out for Ed. Naturally I put it on upside down initially (I’m hopeless). Ed worked on reeling the fish in, while I tried to keep the boat moving in the right direction so we wouldn’t lose it underneath the boat. When the fish grabbed the hook, it took close to 200 yards of line; we knew we had a big one on our hands. It also got caught up in the smaller lure, which proved helpful in the long run. I turned the boat so we could follow the fish downwind (but not before crash-jibing, which will make all the sailing knowledgeable readers cringe) and we kept reeling it in until we saw on the water’s surface that it was enormous, and tired. We also realized that it had barely swallowed the hook and if it struggled as Ed lifted it out, we’d probably lose it. That’s why the second lure came in handy. I handed Ed the gaff because as much as I wish I could, I just can’t do that part. It’s bad enough when I have to pour Vodka down the gills, leaving me in such a state all I can think about is when I’ll be putting Vodka down my own. Ed then masterfully pulled the fish up on deck and we stared at it in a state of utter amazement. Did we just catch this fish? It’s gigantic! From the photo you can see that it’s close to 5.5’ long—a gorgeous King Mackerel, commonly called a Kingfish. Within an hour, Ed had gutted and cut the entire fish into steaks and I had a stack of 4 gallon baggies with 4 large steaks in each one. Another baggie contains other parts of the fish. We decided not to keep the head and tail for soup because quite frankly, we were slightly overwhelmed at that point. We ate Kingfish that first night and it was incredibly tasty. Then we had it for lunch the next day. Dinner again the night after. Lunch again today. We are trying to think of creative ways to cook it. Guess what’s on the menu tonight? The first night, I made creamed coconut Callaloo which I’d bought at the market in Bequia, asking the vendor for tips on cooking it. It is an abundant green vegetable, similar to collard greens, but cooks down like spinach or Swiss chard. I followed her directions mostly, with some help from a recipe in The Spice Necklace (a wonderful book about the different herbs, vegetables, roots, and fruits of the Caribbean) and it was a great side dish. We have no more vegetables and no access to any markets where we’re currently anchored, so we’ll be very creative while we’re here.
Comments
Vessel Name: Skylark
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1CC 1985
Hailing Port: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Crew: Ed Easter, Elizabeth Meadows and Luna the dog
About: Ed, Elizabeth and Luna the dog lived for many years in Charlotte, NC. They started their live aboard experience in Charleston, SC in June 2011, cutting the lines one month later. They have been living the cruiser's life ever since.
Extra:
Skylark is a USA documented vessel and is legally identified by her name "Skylark" and hailing port "Boothbay Harbor". Since our purchase of her in 2008 she had been moored in Tenants Harbor ME '08, Rockland ME '09 and Charleston SC for the 2010 and early 2011 season. After that follow the blog [...]
Skylark's Photos - Main
94 Photos
Created 13 June 2010