s/v Skylark

It's Always An Adventure

02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
20 November 2016 | Washington DC/Charlotte NC
06 November 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 November 2016 | Yarmouth, ME
26 October 2016 | Colombia, Cartagena (posted from Bethel, ME)
26 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
16 October 2016 | Camden, Maine
16 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
02 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine

From the USA

02 September 2012 | Bethel, ME
Elizabeth
It's been awhile since I've checked in with the blog. Have I missed it? Yes and no. Before you get your feathers ruffled, let me explain. I love the blog for its ability to keep me connected to family and friends, offer up something to the universe other than being a boat bum, or rather, first mate (is there a difference?) and give me the opportunity to get my creative energy flowing. Writing has long been an integral part of my life, though often associated with emotionally trying times. In fact for many years, angst might as well have been my middle name, as in Elizabeth Angst Meadows. Thankfully those times are in the past and now the blog is an opportunity to reflect, ponder, contemplate and share thoughts with whoever might be interested. I realize a sailing blog is supposed to be about sailing. I get that. But sometimes I like to write about other things (uhm, like Luna...) and just because we cruise fulltime doesn't mean it's the only thing we're about. Well, kind of it is. I do try to satisfy the serious sailors by posting sailing topics. But honestly, isn't there more to life than how many gallons a water maker makes and how fast it takes to sail from one anchorage to another? No? OK, but I get to decide because I write the blog. Back to the question of missing it. Why wouldn't I? Well, it starts to take on a life of its own. If the blog were my buddy, which it is when no one else is around to fill the void, I will tell you it is a demanding one. We hear from strangers who say how much our words matter to them, for whatever reason. We get emails from friends who accuse us of being a tease (you know who you are) if we don't post regularly. And then others tell us they check the blog several times a day and I do admit, there's something daunting about the idea of disappointing someone every time the blog is old, outdated or just plain empty. In my previous life, I worked under tremendous pressure to produce consistently helpful and wise words, and if I didn't, people suffered. Rewards for getting it right were abundant, but so was the stress when I missed the mark. I am living a new life as a cruiser but still, there is pressure to produce clever blog posts, or interesting, informative, funny ones... you name it, I'm trying to produce them. Self-imposed pressure? Sure, similar to forcing myself to exercise regularly or reach out when I'm lonely. Right now, I'm on vacation. Sort of. It's been a whirlwind of visiting family and a handful of friends; I have hardly had time to catch my breath. Many people I care about are being neglected because my time is limited and some don't even know I'm around. I can't do it all. A blog vacation has been a necessity while catching up with so many people and running a multitude of errands for the boat. But right at this moment, sitting in my mother's comfortable New England home, listening to her practice Chopin's Nocturne on her piano, I am picking up where I left off with my old, pushy friend, Skylark's Blog. It's exactly where I want to be. If my captain and dog were beside me, I would be that much happier. But they are in Trinidad dodging the oppressive heat, high humidity, and ever present storms (none aimed at Trini thus far). And therein lies a topic for another day, making those never-ending compromises. Cruisers are well-familiar with that one.

Maybe if you submit a comment and ask nicely, Captain Ed will post a technical blog about his long list of boat projects, like replacing our AIS, painting the engine or installing new lighting. Good luck with that!
Comments
Vessel Name: Skylark
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1CC 1985
Hailing Port: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Crew: Ed Easter, Elizabeth Meadows and Luna the dog
About: Ed, Elizabeth and Luna the dog lived for many years in Charlotte, NC. They started their live aboard experience in Charleston, SC in June 2011, cutting the lines one month later. They have been living the cruiser's life ever since.
Extra:
Skylark is a USA documented vessel and is legally identified by her name "Skylark" and hailing port "Boothbay Harbor". Since our purchase of her in 2008 she had been moored in Tenants Harbor ME '08, Rockland ME '09 and Charleston SC for the 2010 and early 2011 season. After that follow the blog [...]
Skylark's Photos - Main
94 Photos
Created 13 June 2010