s/v Skylark

It's Always An Adventure

02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
20 November 2016 | Washington DC/Charlotte NC
06 November 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 November 2016 | Yarmouth, ME
26 October 2016 | Colombia, Cartagena (posted from Bethel, ME)
26 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
16 October 2016 | Camden, Maine
16 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
02 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine

How Did We Get Here?

01 April 2015 | Puerto Rico, Culebra
Elizabeth & Ed
Our passage from the DR was anything but fun although it did go pretty much as expected. We knew the wind would be on our nose which is never easy sailing but what we didn't know and the gribs failed to forecast accurately was the effects of a trough that moved in to the area after we left the DR. It was going to create stronger winds off the north coast of PR than was originally predicted and for some reason the gribs were showing light winds along the south coast of PR. From past experience we knew the daytime heating effects on the sea breeze can be quite strong along the south coast, similar to the wind funnel effect we experienced daily in Samana Bay in the DR. Seeing how the winds were coming due east, after about 12 hours of motor sailing we had to choose to tack north and up into the Atlantic way above PR or tack south and sail straight down to the southwest corner. Between the stronger predicted winds along the north coast and a confused sea state typical of the Mona Passage, with current against swell creating short, steep waves of 3-4', we chose to head south and have a pleasant 12 hour sail down toward the west coast of PR. We rounded the SW tip in mild conditions and were waiting on the daytime heating effects which did show up around 11AM on day two. With stronger winds and steeper waves we couldn't motor sail as close to the wind as desired or planned so we fell off and sailed out into the Caribbean Sea away from PR for about 4 hours before tacking back to the NNE with our destination waypoint being the east end of Vieques. The wind stayed a little south of east which made this tack manageable but now on day 3 the trades were building and it became quite uncomfortable pounding straight into the wind and waves. Once we hit the tip of Vieques we knew we wouldn't want to keep doing this into the dark to make landfall in St. Thomas so we fell off onto a beam reach going due north into Culebra. It only lasted 90 minutes but even though we were in the same wind and waves, Skylark suddenly started gliding along happy as a clam. The best laid plans... right?
Comments
Vessel Name: Skylark
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1CC 1985
Hailing Port: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Crew: Ed Easter, Elizabeth Meadows and Luna the dog
About: Ed, Elizabeth and Luna the dog lived for many years in Charlotte, NC. They started their live aboard experience in Charleston, SC in June 2011, cutting the lines one month later. They have been living the cruiser's life ever since.
Extra:
Skylark is a USA documented vessel and is legally identified by her name "Skylark" and hailing port "Boothbay Harbor". Since our purchase of her in 2008 she had been moored in Tenants Harbor ME '08, Rockland ME '09 and Charleston SC for the 2010 and early 2011 season. After that follow the blog [...]
Skylark's Photos - Main
94 Photos
Created 13 June 2010