s/v Skylark

It's Always An Adventure

02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
20 November 2016 | Washington DC/Charlotte NC
06 November 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 November 2016 | Yarmouth, ME
26 October 2016 | Colombia, Cartagena (posted from Bethel, ME)
26 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
16 October 2016 | Camden, Maine
16 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
02 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine

The Lagoon Again?? (Via Remote Post)

29 May 2015 | Anse du Colombier to St. Maarten/Simpson Bay
Elizabeth
It's hard to believe we are actually, right now,, on our way back to the Lagoon in Simpson Bay, St. Maarten. That reality is almost more than we can bear. OK, that's an exaggeration but only a slight one. As I mentioned in the last blog, we did go into Gustavia, St. Barts hoping to anchor snug as a bug in a rug and wait out the nasty weather that's approaching later today and forecast to stick around for several days. Lots of rain, increased wind and gusts, squalls and a wave action. When we arrived in Gustavia yesterday morning there was no place to anchor without discomfort. That was disappointing but our alternative was to motor around the bend to Anse du Colombier which is a favorite hang out of ours. Like our previous anchorage it's a marine nature preserve with an abundance of turtles and good snorkeling. There are plenty of mooring balls, trails to walk, a nice beach and although there are no dogs allowed officially, no one seems to pay any attention to that particular rule. We kept Luna on a leash regardless, especially after she discovered the numerous goats along the trail and walking up and down the rocky cliffs. She was almost beyond happy when she realized they were there. Poor Luna, all she really wants in life is to make friends with a goat. Is that too much to ask? Just one friend called Nanny or Billy with no horns?

Anyway, I digress. We spent a lovely night in Colombier and invited our friend Bruce over for nacho's. This morning Ed donned his scuba gear and scraped the thousands of small barnacles that became squatters on the bottom of Skylark. Uninvited, unwanted and very bad. He made good progress removing them but was pretty upset to have them there ruining our bottom paint, not to mention slowing us down while underway. After listening to the weather this morning, we made the decision to return to St. Maarten where we can more comfortably wait out this nasty system. We want to get some Internet and look at the weather more extensively for a window to head further south. If we can't anchor in Gustavia, we are without wifi until sometime next week and that's a long time when we're trying to gather useful and necessary information for passage planning. We have an accumulation of trash that needs dumping and while it's not impossible to get Luna ashore on a beach when it's rainy, squally and the waves are increased due to a swell, it's not much fun. While we're in SXM we'll try to find Luna some dog bones for her teeth and gums. The the ones we bought before we left Simpson Bay on Tuesday are useless--they're soft and there's no point at all having them other than as a treat which she has plenty of. Running out of dog bones is a mistake we never should have made. We thought we had ample supplies, enough to last a very long time. But time flies and so do our supplies. Next thing we know, we're out of something vital with nowhere to purchase replacements. So off we go back to the Lagoon, sigh...

We are debating going to Marigot instead which is a nicer anchorage though less convenient for walking Luna and if it's too rough to swim, I suppose we'll probably trade ambience for convenience. It's beginning to feel like it's all about Luna, isn't it? And wifi?
Comments
Vessel Name: Skylark
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1CC 1985
Hailing Port: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Crew: Ed Easter, Elizabeth Meadows and Luna the dog
About: Ed, Elizabeth and Luna the dog lived for many years in Charlotte, NC. They started their live aboard experience in Charleston, SC in June 2011, cutting the lines one month later. They have been living the cruiser's life ever since.
Extra:
Skylark is a USA documented vessel and is legally identified by her name "Skylark" and hailing port "Boothbay Harbor". Since our purchase of her in 2008 she had been moored in Tenants Harbor ME '08, Rockland ME '09 and Charleston SC for the 2010 and early 2011 season. After that follow the blog [...]
Skylark's Photos - Main
94 Photos
Created 13 June 2010