s/v Skylark

It's Always An Adventure

02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
02 September 2017 | Yarmouth, ME
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
01 January 2017 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Bethel, Maine
13 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
01 December 2016 | Charlotte, NC
20 November 2016 | Washington DC/Charlotte NC
06 November 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 November 2016 | Yarmouth, ME
26 October 2016 | Colombia, Cartagena (posted from Bethel, ME)
26 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
16 October 2016 | Camden, Maine
16 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
06 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine
02 October 2016 | Bethel, Maine

Portsmouth City Docks

11 June 2016 | ICW Northbound
Elizabeth (photo by Eric s/v Elizabeth Jean)
We have been tied up at the city docks in Portsmouth several times but didn't anticipate there'd be room this year since this weekend is Portsmouth's large Harborfest event and it gets so busy with tall ships, boat parades, bands, etc., that they close the harbor to normal traffic during the daytime hours. At least that's what we read. When I asked Ed if he thought we'd have to bypass Portsmouth altogether he said, "Well, I think the worst case scenario is we'd have to take up the rear of the boat parade". Oh, I thought, Luna will love that. She and I started practicing our hand/paw waves right away in excited anticipation. But we got delayed by an hour with a tug working at the Great Bridge Lock and then it took them forever to get set up for us. As it turned out we were sorely disappointed when the water in the lock filled up by only two inches. Inches, not feet. It was pitiful. And then we had to wait for two trains at the Gilmerton Bridge which caused further delays. So by the time we arrived in Portsmouth, the parade was over. That was the bad news. The good news is there were no boats tied up at the city docks so we secured our lines for the night and had dinner with our friend Eric on s/v Elizabeth Jean. His wife Eulalie is out of town. The only problem about it all was this ferry, and several just like it coming and going every few minutes. That was OK except they blew their horns loudly every time they left. All I wanted was a good night's sleep and all I heard was the toot of their horns. But you know, this was not the worst thing in the world.

We were up and on our way by 0900 this morning to Deltaville, VA which was not anywhere on our radar screen as of yesterday. We'll fix a couple of mechanical problems that have popped up and wait out some nasty weather before heading on our way. We are nothing if not flexible. Really, really flexible.
Comments
Vessel Name: Skylark
Vessel Make/Model: Bristol 41.1CC 1985
Hailing Port: Boothbay Harbor, Maine
Crew: Ed Easter, Elizabeth Meadows and Luna the dog
About: Ed, Elizabeth and Luna the dog lived for many years in Charlotte, NC. They started their live aboard experience in Charleston, SC in June 2011, cutting the lines one month later. They have been living the cruiser's life ever since.
Extra:
Skylark is a USA documented vessel and is legally identified by her name "Skylark" and hailing port "Boothbay Harbor". Since our purchase of her in 2008 she had been moored in Tenants Harbor ME '08, Rockland ME '09 and Charleston SC for the 2010 and early 2011 season. After that follow the blog [...]
Skylark's Photos - Main
94 Photos
Created 13 June 2010