Kormoran of Dart

and when she eventually gets to Cape Town, to be renamed......

13 January 2018 | cape town
15 April 2015 | cape town
16 October 2014 | cape town
16 October 2014 | cape town
15 October 2014 | cape town
24 September 2014 | cape town
14 July 2014 | cape town
05 July 2014 | cape town
16 June 2014 | cape town
05 June 2014 | Cape Town
12 March 2014 | cape town
04 February 2014 | cape town
29 October 2013 | Cape Town
02 September 2013 | cape town
18 August 2013 | cape town
13 July 2013 | cape town
01 June 2013 | cape Town
30 May 2013 | Cape Town
24 May 2013 | Cape Town
18 May 2013 | Cape Town

Closing up

24 May 2013 | Cape Town
steve
At the end of February we were informed that the hull was closed. Inspection of the welds was to be carried out early March.

Once that is done, the exterior paint and anti fouling systems can be completed, and the shipwright can start the interior 'finishing'. I use this word loosely as there is still a hellava lot of repair work to be done on the internal systems !

Mid March we received an email with pictures of the weld tests.....looked very pretty but we had no idea whether it could fly !

The surveyors explanation put us at ease -
"....Good day
Attached are all the weld pictures. I spent a considerable amount of time checking each welded plate. It looks pretty graphic but not to worry, I will give you more of a break down / explanation on Monday. Maybe we can talk on Skype ?
Basically no cracking or tee corner joint problems were noted. There seems to be enough weld material, with no transverse or crater cracks, undercutting at the edges of the welds, no porosity, cold laps, or incomplete penetration has been noted..."

YES !! The hull may look like shite, but it is fixed !
Now for the rest of the boat......

See Favorites link 'Welding' & 'Closed'.

Based on the seasonal rates 'deal' we had, very little work was carried out over the month of April.....well, other than the surveyor and shipwright re considering what still had to be done.....and the attendant cost discussions !
I have to say, these guys have gone out of their way to try and help us achieve our dream.

By the last week of April, we had agreed on the work and costs, and the issues requiring our decision was flowing fast and furious.

Our days of vacillating over 'things' were at an end !
Comments
Vessel Name: Kormoran of Dart
Vessel Make/Model: Allan Pape 50 - currently undergoing a smallish refurb......
About: Steve - general layabout and occasional worker. Giselle - long suffering provider, home maker, wife and companion. Adam - the welp (who is coming into his own) !