Kormoran of Dart

and when she eventually gets to Cape Town, to be renamed......

13 January 2018 | cape town
15 April 2015 | cape town
16 October 2014 | cape town
16 October 2014 | cape town
15 October 2014 | cape town
24 September 2014 | cape town
14 July 2014 | cape town
05 July 2014 | cape town
16 June 2014 | cape town
05 June 2014 | Cape Town
12 March 2014 | cape town
04 February 2014 | cape town
29 October 2013 | Cape Town
02 September 2013 | cape town
18 August 2013 | cape town
13 July 2013 | cape town
01 June 2013 | cape Town
30 May 2013 | Cape Town
24 May 2013 | Cape Town
18 May 2013 | Cape Town

1 year - How many to go ?

18 August 2013 | cape town
steve
Well, this is turning out to be a bit disconcerting to say the least.

Since the last post there has been furious activity around the rudder shaft & tube, prop tube, the hole at the lazerette, internal stuff, lockers, as well as some external topside stuff.

As for the readiness of KoD.....some very rude words are being said.....on a very regular basis !

Currently we have instructed that the shaft tube gets replaced - which has meant that they have had to cut the tube out !

The rudder has been cut out, and the rudder tube is being checked at the moment.
If it doesn't 'pass fitness', it will also be removed.

Once we know the status of the rudder tube, only then will we order the new tubes and shafts - otherwise we get double costs for shipping etc. Also, the tube inspection result will determine if we get a new steel shaft, or new stainless shaft and tube !!

Once this has been decided, and the parts imported, the rudder shaft can go for fitting to the rudder blade.

The lazerette 'hole' has ended up being a bit larger than expected. The aft bulkhead is also 'slightly' the worse for wear and will be repaired. This has all been cut away and new plating is about to commence / currently being done.

In the meantime, the internal painting has progressed nicely to virtually complete, and tarring to bilges is almost complete as well. Once this is done the engine will be replaced.

Work has also been started on the outside with the fairleads and chainplates being 'opened up'.
We have decided that these must get repaired as they are showing some rust - better now than later, and as the damn fairing and hull finishing is already buggered......
The one upside to the refinishing of the topsides is that the current name will be removed ready for a new name once she gets to Cape Town.

The cockpit holds and gas locker have been cleaned out....and a few holes/rust areas have been found. It has also been decided to repair this while we are at it......

The sails have been visual inspected and seems to show that they are ok. A few patches but otherwise ok. It has been suggested that they get sent to the sailmakers once they open again, for proper checks.

So....where does this leave our timing......?

The surveyor has voiced concern that with all of the new welding, repairs and re-fairing; that there is a likelihood that they will not be ready by end October. We are putting a lot of pressure on them to finish....however....I don't hold much hope at this stage.
Not good news, but I would say its a safe bet that she will not be ready !

I am amazed at our capacity to 'roll with the punches' on this project. To say that it is not draining our capacity would be a lie. The number - and size - of issues that crop up are mind numbing and frustrating. The only thing we can do is console ourselves with the fact that what is being done is for the best; painful but for the best. Or at least we hope it is.....it damn well better be !!

Pics to follow as soon as possible : )
Comments
Vessel Name: Kormoran of Dart
Vessel Make/Model: Allan Pape 50 - currently undergoing a smallish refurb......
About: Steve - general layabout and occasional worker. Giselle - long suffering provider, home maker, wife and companion. Adam - the welp (who is coming into his own) !