Kormoran of Dart

and when she eventually gets to Cape Town, to be renamed......

13 January 2018 | cape town
15 April 2015 | cape town
16 October 2014 | cape town
16 October 2014 | cape town
15 October 2014 | cape town
24 September 2014 | cape town
14 July 2014 | cape town
05 July 2014 | cape town
16 June 2014 | cape town
05 June 2014 | Cape Town
12 March 2014 | cape town
04 February 2014 | cape town
29 October 2013 | Cape Town
02 September 2013 | cape town
18 August 2013 | cape town
13 July 2013 | cape town
01 June 2013 | cape Town
30 May 2013 | Cape Town
24 May 2013 | Cape Town
18 May 2013 | Cape Town

Restart 2014

05 June 2014 | Cape Town
steve
Beginning June 2014.
About 3 years since that fateful morning I opened my big mouth....and about 2 years since buying a hunk of scrap !
What a ride....and its not over yet : (

Since the last post there seems to have been very little work done, primarily as it was the ‘busy season’ for the surveyor and shipwright. Work kind of continued slowly with the heads, the internal refit, rudder prepping, fairing and painting.

And yet....when I look at what has actually happened.....a lot of small and fiddly bits, checking and decision making stuff.....

We decided to scrap the watermaker as the internals were fairly severely corroded....and to get a replacement would - as the hard working gents say - at ‘superyacht prices’.

A thru-hull valve flange to the cockpit locker had to be ‘redone’....as well as a bulkhead exhaust manifold in the aft cabin.

The bilge tarring and painting was completed. The tailpipes and engine mounts were removed, sourced and ordered as required.
The inverter and 4 house batteries were condemned, and new ones ordered.

In addition, the surveyor considered that 2 coachroof portlights be replaced.
Mmmm, except that the local suppliers wanted 2000 odd USD per portlight...so a few weeks of searching and he manages to find replacements....from Holland.
Ordered and paid.....and when they eventually arrive last week, the radii are wrong ! Surveyor pissed off. Eventually calms down and reckons that to ‘jimmy’ them ‘could work’, but it wouldn't look good. So he arranges credits (and will do personal returns when he goes to Holland next week)....and then manages to find original Gioit portlights, in some obscure store somewhere or other. Now we wait for the quotes : (

Things like the water filtration systems have been looked at, bilge switches and pumps replaced, elect breakers and wiring replaced as required, floor access panels being made, and hoses and clamps being replaced / done

The motor is scheduled to be serviced in a week or two time.....and we hope that there isn't anything wrong with that ! Our luck.....!!!
It was decided not to install the motor until the shipwright had finished what he needed to do in the engine room - it would be hell for him to do those ‘fiddly bits’ in that confined space.

So the surveyor gets hold of us and says that it is a good time to order everything that needs to get shipped in, otherwise we are going to have a huge shipping bill. Seems that he has been combining orders for ease and cost reduction, and as the season is almost over.....we start going thru what we think needs to be ordered.

Lists are made, things are ordered....and amongst all of this is the emergency watermaker we have decided on (Survivor 35) and safety equipment

Mmmm, safety equipment !
Now, besides being *^@*!!! expensive, I found this a minefield of note - especially when you start looking at what is available overseas, what is allowed / approved by SAMSA, and what we think is better or / and necessary.
Basically we decided that we wanted new, and that we wanted SOLAS as far as possible, and that if - may the heavens forbid - there ever was a MOB, that we would be able to find such MOB asap !

Obviously a liferaft (Survitec 6p Oceanmaster Solas A), life rings (SOLAS), light / smoke marker (SOLAS), lifejackets (SOLAS), buoyancy aids with light / harness / sprayhood / ais (SOLAS), danbouy with light, life line and lifesling.....and a new MOB AIS system (Watchmate 850)
There was a whole debate on whether the inflatable buoyancy aids would be approved as lifejackets by SAMSA, to which we couldn't find a ‘confidant’ answer, so we had to double up with lifejackets as well. F !

Medical bag, ditch bag items, drogue, plugs, collision blankets etc etc are still under investigation / consideration......

In amongst all of this, there was a whole discussion on antifouling. Basically, the suggestion was to use International Micron 66 or 77, professionally applied....except that it seems it is not readily available in SA. We can get it, but SA only stock Micron Extra....and you cannot get Extra in Antigua : /
So now we are looking at Jutron SeaQuantum, which seems to be available in both countries - or at least once the shipment arrives in a months time more or less.

When the boat is moved back from painting, the rudder is to be put back in. Then, once the motor is working that will be replaced, and the internal completed.

It has been suggested that the coachroof and decks also get re-finished, especially considering the work to the portlights. A decision on this is currently in ‘limbo’.

A tentative timeline has been agreed. Very simply, the surveyor is to start his final surveys beginning September, with a ‘handover cruise’ beginning November, and hopefully departure for SA early / mid November.
Haven't quite got ourselves to booking tickets yet. After the last 2 disappointments, we don't want to get our hopes up......

And the rig must still get checked, which can only happen once in the water.....

In amongst all this, I have been starting to look at what is required in terms of navigation. Based on the assumption that everything on board is either old, non existent or crap....its quite a lot !
And here starts the iPad / computer / chart plotter debate. Basically we decided - as we have to upgrade certain personal systems anyway - to go the iPad and computer route, supplemented with paper charts as required.

During one of the family discussions, the BOSS ‘asked’ why we didn't change the name now, seeing as we were re-finishing....just asking says she !
It has been decided - not by survey mind you - that the new name will be MoonShadow

So off I go to SAMSA and try find out whether they have any objections.
Oh yes, when I followed up with SAMSA previously regarding the surveyors appointment, I got told that they had received the paperwork, it was noted as to be dealt with, but that they would prefer to deal with everything all at once, and should it become urgent, I should then let them know an they will deal with it.....
Ya ! We wait in anticipation !

On a good note, ICASA have issued the Sat C license !

Ok, it has taken over a year, escalated up to head office, coupled with threats of complaining to Consumer Protection. The not so funny bit - 3 days after getting thru to head office, they process and issue a license - or at least a letter stating it is approved and is in the post. 3 days !

So, there is ‘movement’. There is even a tentative date of completion.
Please please please, let it be so !
I don't think we can go thru another disappointment / ‘issue’
And yet - there is hope : )

For pics, please see, ‘2014 Restart A’ and ‘2014 Restart B’
Comments
Vessel Name: Kormoran of Dart
Vessel Make/Model: Allan Pape 50 - currently undergoing a smallish refurb......
About: Steve - general layabout and occasional worker. Giselle - long suffering provider, home maker, wife and companion. Adam - the welp (who is coming into his own) !