Life aboard in the NE And the work continues!

Now living aboard full time while I make repairs, refits, getting her ready for the long cruise.

09 December 2013 | Piers Marina Philadelphia
09 December 2013 | Piers Marina
25 November 2013 | Piers marina
22 November 2013 | Piers Marina Philadelphia
26 August 2013 | PIERS MARINA - PHILADELPHIA
05 August 2013 | PIERS MARINA - PHILADELPHIA
19 June 2013 | always Riverside, NJ
16 June 2013 | Riverside, NJ
15 June 2013 | Still in Riverside, Nj
18 May 2013 | Corsica River
22 February 2013
18 February 2013
11 February 2013 | Same!
05 February 2013 | Riverside, NJ
14 November 2012 | Still at Riverside NJ
16 October 2012 | Horta - Azores
04 October 2012 | Riverside NJ
02 October 2012 | Riverside NJ
24 September 2012 | Riverside, NJ

The DECK

16 June 2013 | Riverside, NJ
Roland
One of the problems the boat had, even before I brought her, was the foredeck! It had been repaired once a couple years prior to me buying the boat for water intrusion and balsa core rot! During the survey it came out the is was a shitty repair, and the PO paid a good amount of money for it. Well we got the boat yard, with a little $$ also from the PO to repair the repair!

Well it sucked, the yard is know for it's mechanical repair I guess they thought they could do fiberglass repairs too! BUT NO! within a year of me having the boat, and that's a year after the second repair the deck started getting cracks in it through the deck paint. Don't know if you can see it in this photo.
 photo Deck-2_zpsde8482e0.jpg

Well one of the reason it cracked is that when repairing the deck they used Bondo filler to fair the deck. Bondo is OK but NOT on a flexible surface which the deck is. No wonder it was cracking! So I started grinding, first take off the crap paint they used , most of the Bondo...
 photo Deck-1_zps66882e71.jpg

and basically level the deck out! After much grinding I started fairing the deck with the proper - thickened epoxy! Why didn't they do it that way?? $$$$ Bondo is very very cheap compared to thickened epoxy. So if anyone is reading this blog who has to do a deck repair like mine- Please use thickened epoxy!

 photo PrepDeck-1_zps94783d4e.jpg

Add epoxy, sand, more epoxy sand till it was level. Over 15 years ago I heard of a product called Tek Dek, it's a synthetic teak decking material. I love teak!!! Especially on a boat and have always loved teak decks but just not the maintenance of them. With this product it looks great- always and no maintenance. Plus it protects the deck from my clumsiness with dropping tools and is a great nonskid surface - beats sand.

First thing to laying out the deck is lay and glue down the king plank- that's the center strip, than layout the perimeter.
 photo newdeck_zps9feb184a.jpg
Once this is done I hope to finish the rest of the deck next weekend.
That's it for now...
Comments
Vessel Name: Kodachrome
Vessel Make/Model: Nassau 34
Crew: Roland
Kodachrome's Photos - Main
Building my new bowsprit
9 Photos
Created 25 November 2013
Finally got launched and back in the water
4 Photos
Created 5 August 2013
Photos of the process of making my molded instrument panel for the cockpit
9 Photos
Created 22 February 2013
First couple of repairs
4 Photos
Created 9 December 2011
From Rock Hall to Riverside our late fall trip
16 Photos
Created 7 November 2011

Who: Roland