s/v KOKOMO - Denny & Becky

Visit our website: kokomosailing.com

29 March 2018 | Annapolis, Maryland
24 March 2018 | Stringray Point Marina, Deltaville, Virginia
11 February 2018
04 February 2018 | Tacoma, Wa
06 November 2017 | Tacoma, Washington
05 November 2017 | I-84 Baker City, Oregon
05 November 2017 | I-84 Baker City, Oregon
03 November 2017 | Wyoming
01 November 2017 | Stingray Point Marina, Virginia
29 October 2017 | Solomons Island, MD
26 October 2017 | Annapolis, Maryland
17 October 2017
15 October 2017 | Annapolis, Maryland
12 October 2017 | Annapolis, Maryland
08 October 2017 | Back Creek, Annapolis
07 October 2017 | Back Creek, Annapolis
24 September 2017 | Back Creek, Annapolis
20 September 2017
13 September 2017
10 September 2017 | Annapolis, Maryland

Wreck of the Sevona

28 June 2017
Thunderstorms all day today and into the night. It reminds me of what happened here September 2, 1905.

It was a dark day in the history of the Apostle Islands. Early that morning, the steamship Sevona sought shelter from the storm among the islands. Clawing its way through the tempest, the ship struck a shoal northeast of Sand Island. Seven crew members drowned in sight of shore.

Recollections of a Passenger

Miss Spencer's story of the wreck is as follows:
"It makes me shudder to talk or think of the terrible experience through which we passed. About three o'clock in the morning Captain McDonald knocked at out door and told us that he was going to seek shelter, and for us to secure all breakable stuff in a place of safety, as when the boat put about she would toss badly.

It was only a short time before the captain came to our stateroom again and told us to dress. This we did and a little later two sailors came and accompanied us to the after end of the boat. We were instructed to put on life preservers, which we did. No one seemed to be specially frightened, but a 5:45 came the terrible crash which broke the vessel in two.

We got into the life boat at that time, but the captain and the men could not come aft owing to the break. He hailed us through the megaphone 'Hang on as long as you can.' We did so, but the sea was pounding so hard, that we finally got out of the small boat, and into the large vessel again, all congregating in the dining room which was still intact.

The big boat was pounding and tossing. Now a piece of the deck would go then a portion of the dining room, in which we were quartered. During all this time, the men forward could not get to us. Finally, at 11 o'clock everything seemed to be breaking at once, and by order of the chief engineer, we took to the small boat again.

One by one we piled into the boat, leaving six men behind us. I never heard such a heart rending cry as came from those six. 'For God's sake don't leave us,' they cried, so two of the men who were in our boat got out and helped the six men get the port boat over to the starboard side so they could launch it. These men then left in their boat and our and our men came back to our boat, and we put off.

It was a terrible fight to keep the small boat afloat. And to the skill of the second engineer, Adam Fiden, we certainly owe our lives. He is an expert sculler, and kept our boat right, when oars on the side were practically useless. We knew we were in danger, but we obeyed his orders implicitly, and he finally landed us safe and sound.

When the tug Currie returned from Sand Island Monday afternoon with the six men who were in boat number two, it was also learned that the bodies of Captain McDonald and Nels Severson, wheelsman, had been found on the beach at Sand Island. Justice Davis was instructed to go there and hold an inquest. Upon their return to the island two more bodies had been found, Louis Darwin, first mate, and the other one could not be identified. The bodies were brought to Bayfield and taken in charge by Undertaker Sense, and prepared for shipment. The body of Captain McDonald was sent to his home ln Northeast, Pa., Tuesday and two more of the bodies were shipped to Buffalo Wednesday.

Harry Magnet, a sailor on the steamer W.H.Mack, arrived in the city from Duluth Tuesday evening and identified his brother, Otto Willett, the last one of the bodies that washed ashore from the steamer Sevona. He took the remains of his brother to Cleveland Wednesday.

A search has been made for the three remaining bodies but none of them have been found yet.

The bodies of the second mate and two watchmen are still missing. The survivors of the Sevona were sent to their respective homes Wednesday evening after being in Bayfield since Monday. Their expenses were all paid by the owners of the boat. Valued at $250,000, and insured for $160,000, she was a total loss."

The bodies of the remaining victims were all eventually recovered. Lying just below the surface, the wreck of the Sevona was determined to be a hazard to navigation, and so the Army Corps of Engineers dynamited the wreck in the summer of 1909. Nonetheless, significant portions of the Sevona remain today, and the wreck is a popular destination for sport divers.
Comments
Vessel Name: Kokomo
Vessel Make/Model: Sabre 425
Hailing Port: Tacoma, Washington
Crew: Denny & Becky Flannigan
About:
After ten years of planning a trip around the world, we have given up our life on land to head to bluer pastures with the hopes of staying young as long as possible. Our mission is to have fun while moving about the earth. [...]
Extra: We have two boys and two grandson's and several friends and family of all ages. Our hope is that those we know will decide to spend some time with us. Life is enjoyed most when you share it with those your closest to.
Home Page: http://www.kokomosailing.com/
Social:
Kokomo's Photos - Main
No Photos
Created 1 April 2017
4 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
3 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
3 Photos
Created 21 July 2014
6 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
6 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
6 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
6 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
4 Photos
Created 20 July 2014
Here we are in Florida with our CYCT friends
27 Photos
Created 5 July 2013
30 Photos
Created 5 July 2013
40 Photos
Created 15 April 2013
105 Photos
Created 16 October 2011
23 Photos
Created 2 August 2011
123 Photos
Created 20 April 2011
98 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 7 February 2011
43 Photos
Created 15 December 2010
138 Photos | 1 Sub-Album
Created 9 November 2010
24 Photos
Created 29 October 2010
3 Photos
Created 23 September 2010

Denny & Becky in the Bahamas

Who: Denny & Becky Flannigan
Port: Tacoma, Washington

Click on the map to see where we are

Click here to visit milltech Marine Inc.