Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Key West, FL N24° 34.458’ W81° 47.334’

30 March 2008 | 24 34.458N 81 47.334W
Randy
Just a note to check in and let you know I have not fallen off the face of the earth. I have gotten that question from a couple of you lately. I have not written because there hasn't been much to write about. I am still in the Key West mooring field. Since Bob and Dave have left, I have been mostly just working on small projects on the boat and relaxing in the warm weather.

I have been thinking a lot about getting the solar and wind power generation thing going. Joe and Deb know a lot about this and they have been invaluable in helping me determine a reasonable approach and then finding the equipment. They found a source in Miami and I was planning to drive up there yesterday to pick it all up but these people don't seem to want my business. Wouldn't call back to confirm availability. So I lost the weekend to work on this. Hopefully they will get back to me tomorrow and then I will get the stuff. I also found a machine shop that isn't very busy and they are going to build a stainless steel arch (sort of) that hangs off the back of the transom and then I can install the panels, wind generator and dinghy davits on the arch. I have seen this on other boats (Joe and Deb also have this setup) and it is by far a superior arrangement. It would be nice to get this done in the next couple of weeks.

Jenni and Kristin arrive Thursday. I can't wait to see them, and see how they like Key West, but more importantly to see how they like sailing and snorkeling down here. It should be a blast!

By the way, I did finally get my GPS and most of my other stuff back that was still in the car when Dollar rented it out before I could get everything out. It took a week and finally me calling the police to report it as a possible theft before they took me seriously. Surprise, surprise, I never saw the beer again ...

As luck would have it, I couldn't sleep the other day and was surfing the Internet looking for any kind of deals for air travel. Found a $200 ticket to Burlington, so I am going back for a quick visit with Nikki. Leaving the same day Jenni and Kristin fly back (the 10th), return here the 15th, and then Nikki comes back to me, Kristinly and Key West the 18th. I hope to have cooperating weather so that we can head to the Dry Tortugas for a few days while she is here. I am planning to start the trek north to Maine (eventually) after Nikki leaves and then the updates will be more frequent and substantive.

I almost forgot - I saw my first manatee in the wild today! HUGE!! He had a big scar on his back - I suppose from getting hit by a boat or something. They are called sea cows, and they are about that fast, which is why there are a lot of restricted areas for speed around manatee habitat. Anyway, that was a real treat.

So Key West has been a fun place to visit, and the weather, while a bit stormy at times, has been really nice. But this is definitely one of the places I can scratch off my list of potential places to call home someday. Very touristy (not all bad) and just not my kind of place. But a great party town!
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT