Kristinly

38' Island Packet cutter rigged sailboat - sailed 20,000 nautical miles from New England to the Bahamas. Now with new owners Tim & Susan Tiefenbach

17 June 2013 | Mallets Bay, VT
05 July 2012 | West Pont, NY
02 July 2012 | Brigantine Shoals near Little Egg Inlet, NJ
30 June 2012 | Reedy Island, Delaware River
26 June 2012 | Antipoison Creek, VA
23 June 2012 | Burlington, VT
28 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
27 March 2012 | Deltaville, VA
26 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
25 March 2012 | Hampton, VA
24 March 2012 | South of Norfolk, VA
23 March 2012 | Elizabeth City, NC
22 March 2012 | Cedar Creek, NC
21 March 2012 | Wrightsville Beach, NC
20 March 2012 | Little River, NC
18 March 2012 | South Santee River, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
17 March 2012 | Charleston, SC
16 March 2012 | NE of Savannah, GA

Titusville, FL N28° 37’ 34.0” W80° 48’ 26.3”

03 February 2008 | N28° 37’ 34.0” W80° 48’ 26.3”
Randy
Listening to Jimmy Buffet on a Sunday morning with a cup of coffee on the boat at anchor, calm waters, sun shining, shorts and flip flops, and nothing to do but relax for a moment is about as good as it gets. He talks about having a school boy's heart, nomad feet, stout sailor's legs, and a wanderer's eye, among other things, and I think I can relate to all of that right now. I would imagine a day will come when I am tired of my home bobbing up and down in the sea and long for a strong sturdy foundation underneath my feet, but today aint one of 'em!

Arrived at Titusville at 1330 yesterday as planned, set the anchor outside the Titusville Municipal Marina, and proceeded to clean up. I like to shower daily, but if there isn't a good reason to shave, I can let that go for quite a while. After 5 days, even I can't stand it! Probably more than you wanted to know ... Anyway, I checked and the shuttle is still scheduled to launch 7 Feb so I am planning to hang here until then. It sounds like this may be as good of a place as any to see the launch, but I have also heard of an anchorage that is a bit closer to Cape Canaveral, so I might head over that way Wednesday. If the launch gets delayed beyond Thursday, then I will give it up and head south. Perhaps rent a car and come back later to see it off.

Dick and Kay Axelson, the wonderful people who sold me Kristinly, and also the original and only previous owners of her, live about 10 minutes from here. They have been following my progress and Dick reached out yesterday and said to call him when I reached Titusville. I did and we have agreed to meet for dinner Tuesday. Dick and I communicated a fair amount shortly after I bought her and he has been so gracious in offering knowledge about her and helped me with some of the documentation. For those of you who don't know, Dick and Kay named the boat Kristenly after their granddaughter. Of course, everyone knows about my Kristin (nearly the same age as Kristen), and I decided I liked the name too much to change it. It's bad luck to change the name of a boat, but the spelling is different by one letter, and the essence of the meaning behind the name is still there. I may have told you we had a big ceremony this summer praising Neptune and the four winds when we christened her after the name was redone on the transom, so all is good.

Anyway, in a relatively short period of time, I have had the good fortune to meet wonderful people along the way who are so kind and helpful, and I feel so fortunate. I expect this kind of thing will continue. The lesson here for me is you don't have to be on a boat to meet people like this. They have always been there, I just wasn't paying attention. But I am now, and the feeling is remarkable.

Many of you have asked for pictures of the dolphins. I can't seem to get a real good shot of one with the head up, but here is what you get. I watched something interesting yesterday. There was a group of dolphins obviously feeding going in circles and they were driving the bait fish to the surface and the gulls were going mad swooping down and feasting on the little fish, making an incredible racket. It looked like a cooperative feeding frenzy. Mother Nature at her best ...

OK, enough of my musing. Need to get back to reality and go buy some groceries. Enjoy the Superbowl everyone. Go PACKERS! Oops, they didn't make it in did they? Rats ...
Comments
Vessel Name: Kristinly
Vessel Make/Model: Island Packet 38, hull #83
Hailing Port: Mallets Bay, VT
Crew: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary

Kristinly

Who: Captain Randy Kruml, 1st Mate Nikki St Mary
Port: Mallets Bay, VT